The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Billygoat
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Billygoat »

KenE

Good point and you're right....good lines too!

Happy T.G. to you too.
Listen to your body, it tells you when it's had enough.
jaywc7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jaywc7 »

To stay on the gun topic : I don't plan on carrying a gun when I fly...
I'm just counting on TSA to profile! :wink:
Billygoat wrote:jaywc7

From an ex CRJ Captain, :D

Congrats on passing your checkride. I know what kind of a workout you went through. I was based here in Denver and flew as United Express to all the mountain destinations as well as out of state destinations. It was a real treat to fly across the 14ers the thousands of times I got to do it. I hope you get as lucky as me in that respect. BTW, who are you going with?

Steve
I'm with Pinnacle. Based in Minni. I have to do 2 months reserve in Detroit, then start Minneapolis in February. Then, I'm hoping to move to the Boulder area with my gf the end of summer. So I'll commute from Denver. Heard it's not too bad. Is United Express still flying there? Were you on a 700? Did you make Aspen runs? Things are looking much better for us here under the red tail regime, but if anything happens, I might be looking for something in Denver. Great Lakes? :lol: My best friend flies for Mesaba. He was on the Avro RJ85 crew before they parked 'em. I'm pretty sure they went into Aspen, but not anymore... I think the best thing I'll get with Pinnacle is probably Helena, MT. Special SE departures are a new thing to me. I'm sure you flew them every day in the mountains.
KenE wrote:So, now you can fly to Montrose any time you want and bang on the San Juans.
Well sure,,, but my gf is in Minneapolis! :wink:
josh
Billygoat
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Billygoat »

jaywc7

Yeah to keep it on the gun topic, I never carried one on the flight deck, was'nt approved yet. I was on the 200. I think Air Wisconsin is still flying the BAC 146 jets to Aspen. I did'nt fly the RJ to Aspen but did literally 100's of them in the DeHavilland DHC7 when I worked for Rocky Mountain Airways to become Continental Express. I remember carrying Kurt Russel and Goldy Hawn out of Aspen once. Never know who you're going to meet up there.

Good luck with Pinnacle and the dreaded commute! Hopefully you make it back to Boulder if those are your wishes.
Listen to your body, it tells you when it's had enough.
dongal1265
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

guns

Post by dongal1265 »

I am a novice at this 14er stuff but have worked as a LEO for over 20 years in NYC. If I thought I needed a gun I would take my Smith and Wesson Model 64 38caliber. That thing will shoot under water, in snow, rain, wind. etc.

Never jammed or misfired. Luckily I have not had the occassion to use it although it has been pointed at several misguided individuals over the years. Thankfully its never been used except at the practice range
jaywc7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: guns

Post by jaywc7 »

dongal1265 wrote:Smith and Wesson Model 64 38caliber
That's exactly what I want!!! A SM model 64 38SP+P

Sweet gun... :wink:
josh
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RoW8nHIVuRk

S&W 500 vs. Watermelon.... giggidy!!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
mtnmaniac
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaniac »

Congrats, but I'm looking forward to another meeting for the national title. Maybe this time Henne won't pi$$ the game down his leg. Kinda reminded me of Plummer Sunday night.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Random thought while reading these posts (the topic related ones at least :wink: ) ...is that everyone seems to know their gun details to a T. I was raised a farmboy, and from as early as I can remember my family had 15-20 firearms in the house. I can never remember NOT being allowed to go shooting in the backyard or something. (Early knowledge of guns leads to better safety habits IMO) but ANYWHO..back to what I wanted to say, I could never rattle off the specific names of my old guns like you guys do! I just find it impressive...maybe im just not detail oriented enough...
mtnmaniac
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaniac »

fleetmack wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=RoW8nHIVuRk

S&W 500 vs. Watermelon.... giggidy!!
:twisted: sic
Cptkahuna
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cptkahuna »

dfreed83 wrote:Random thought while reading these posts (the topic related ones at least :wink: ) ...is that everyone seems to know their gun details to a T. I was raised a farmboy, and from as early as I can remember my family had 15-20 firearms in the house. I can never remember NOT being allowed to go shooting in the backyard or something. (Early knowledge of guns leads to better safety habits IMO) but ANYWHO..back to what I wanted to say, I could never rattle off the specific names of my old guns like you guys do! I just find it impressive...maybe im just not detail oriented enough...
There is nothing like a good ole whooping on the butt to get a youngster to remember gun safety. I can still vividly remember my father's displeasure when I tried to cross a fence with a shotgun while hunting pheasants even though the event happened 35 years ago.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellom!
Flatland Biker
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Flatland Biker »

Hey...this thread is heading for 400!
"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"
skier25
14ers: 44  10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by skier25 »

Billygoat wrote:Since fleetmack asked....

I watched 'The Shining' again last night. If you have'nt seen it, there is some beautiful scenery footage in the beginning of the movie.

Even though I've watched it several times over the years I still wonder who it was that let Jack (played by Jack Nicholson) out of the food pantry. It was'nt Delbert Grady whose voice you heard outside the door since it was just imagined by Jack. I think? Anyone seen it that has an opinion as to who let him out?

If you have'nt seen it, be careful, it's a classic horror flic. Make the room quiet, turn down the lights and grab your security blanket!

OOOOPS.....Guns!
It was the spirits! Who the hell was the woman who kissed Jack, and then turned all old and nasty and moldy! Who are the two girls that Danny sees? Who was the wife seeing when she ran around alone in the house at the end, when Jack was in the maze? It even says that the hotel was built on indian burial grounds!

Back to guns. I'll just say it...I have no use for a gun whatsoever in the mountains. Plus, a knife is way sweeter. It shows your manliness, and how you're not scared to wrestle with the mountain lion, killing it with your knife! What would James Bowie say! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by skier25 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.