Forum rules
This forum is read-only
grhigh
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: My 14er record attempt

Post by grhigh »

The first thing I said to Homie as he walked toward the Land Cruiser at noon today was that he did set a record. Those 41 peaks have never been climbed so fast! Also, we now have "Homie Days." Feel free to try one. Let's see, Windom, Sunlight, North Eolus, Eolus, El Diente, Mount Wilson, Wilson Peak, and Sneffels for starters. As Homie and I drove away after our trailhead party, I said, "Hey! We finally got rid of everybody. Now, let's go for Huron!" Then, with a wry grin, I added, "Just give your spot to Eric Lee for his run of Nolan's Fourteeners. Nobody will know the difference until he does Yale!" Alas, The word was out, and my last duty as faithful driver was to deliver Homie to his family. He is in one piece and at peace. Hooray.

It was truly inspiring to be one of the silent crew members behind the curtain. I'll miss Homie's snoring as I drove through the night to the next trailhead. It started to seem too simple; just drive to a trailhead, point uphill, and watch him go. I told Homie that I was with him mentally in his summit skipping, but just lacked the Kevlar legs to be there in person.
Jennifer and I are also exhausted by the wee hour drives, but i enjoyed finding all the trailheads from memory. OK, I did peek at my guidebook a few times, but mostly after the fact to see how i did.

Of course Cave Dog's record will be broken. It can be done under 10 days. Homie has inspired a new generation to try.

Gerry Roach
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

Gerry, thank you for stopping by and leaving a note and thank for your behind the scenes work helping Homie.

10 days? :shock: The bar has been set, I hope we get to be a part of other attempts like Homie allowed us to be in his.
hfd73
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by hfd73 »

BillWright wrote:Welcome Home, Homie

Yeah, That'll do it!!! Great job buddy!!!
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

grhigh wrote:The first thing I said to Homie as he walked toward the Land Cruiser at noon today was that he did set a record. Those 41 peaks have never been climbed so fast! Also, we now have "Homie Days." Feel free to try one. Let's see, Windom, Sunlight, North Eolus, Eolus, El Diente, Mount Wilson, Wilson Peak, and Sneffels for starters. As Homie and I drove away after our trailhead party, I said, "Hey! We finally got rid of everybody. Now, let's go for Huron!" Then, with a wry grin, I added, "Just give your spot to Eric Lee for his run of Nolan's Fourteeners. Nobody will know the difference until he does Yale!" Alas, The word was out, and my last duty as faithful driver was to deliver Homie to his family. He is in one piece and at peace. Hooray.

It was truly inspiring to be one of the silent crew members behind the curtain. I'll miss Homie's snoring as I drove through the night to the next trailhead. It started to seem too simple; just drive to a trailhead, point uphill, and watch him go. I told Homie that I was with him mentally in his summit skipping, but just lacked the Kevlar legs to be there in person.
Jennifer and I are also exhausted by the wee hour drives, but i enjoyed finding all the trailheads from memory. OK, I did peek at my guidebook a few times, but mostly after the fact to see how i did.

Of course Cave Dog's record will be broken. It can be done under 10 days. Homie has inspired a new generation to try.

Gerry Roach
Wow, Gerry, thanks for the note and for being a part of this historic event!
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

BillWright wrote:Welcome Home, Homie

Okaerinasai!
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Big congrats, Homie...Like many, in recent days, when I contemplated whether it was too hot or too cold or too early or too late or too stormy to keep going, I just though, "WWHPD?" (The answer being easy: "HTFU")

Well done!
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

Wow, even Sierra Trading Post was following Homie's adventure:

http://hub.sierratradingpost.com/fourte ... ecord-708/
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

Gerry if I were to start thanking you for all the things I can think of thanking you for I would have several paragraphs before I got to the Homie part.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
Cave Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cave Dog »

Homie,

You are an inspiration to me and to so many others. I am so sorry that it did not work out for you. My heart sunk when I heard the news. I have been in your position before. It is tough, really tough. You put so much of yourself on the line to make such an effort. My heart goes out to you. I have so much respect for what you have accomplished. You have done something that I did not think was possible: you united hundreds upon hundreds of people from around the world. There are more than 1600 comments, and growing, on your thread, and not one of them was negative. That is amazing. It is a testament to you. It is a testament to your having inspired so many different people, all with diverse backgrounds, but united in our effort to root for our Homie. Your adventure has in no small way become our adventure. Thank you for sharing.

-Cave Dog
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Heck of a run, my friend! Glad you pulled the plug when the body said no more and get rested up. That pic of the Prater family is priceless, Bill! I'm sure they were so proud of his efforts. I marvel at the ridge runs John has done and it was great to follow his prowess so closely. I would never have imagined your pursuit would have had so huge of a following when you told me about your plans a few months ago. You sure are an inspiration to us all!
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Man, the people I admire the heck out of posting in this thread just keeps growing!

I never thought that I'd be starstruck on an Internet forum. =D>
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Cave Dog wrote:Homie,

You are an inspiration to me and to so many others. I am so sorry that it did not work out for you. My heart sunk when I heard the news. I have been in your position before. It is tough, really tough. You put so much of yourself on the line to make such an effort. My heart goes out to you. I have so much respect for what you have accomplished. You have done something that I did not think was possible: you united hundreds upon hundreds of people from around the world. There are more than 1600 comments, and growing, on your thread, and not one of them was negative. That is amazing. It is a testament to you. It is a testament to your having inspired so many different people, all with diverse backgrounds, but united in our effort to root for our Homie. Your adventure has in no small way become our adventure. Thank you for sharing.

-Cave Dog

Class Act, Cave Dog.

Bravo, again, Home-Slice.

Thanks to the Homie Posse for all of the updates and photos on this thread.

I want live chopper streaming for the next attempt!