Forum rules
This forum is read-only
psycholoco
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: My 14er record attempt

Post by psycholoco »

Prairie Tater wrote:John, I just want you to know that your family in Missouri is very proud of you for what you've done. And I hope that you are not seriously injured. We are getting together with your mom & dad tomorrow for his birthday. Wish you, Lori & the girls could be there. You and your endeavor will probably be the main topic of conversation. =D> Uncle Terry

This makes me smile.
Burns Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Burns Dog »

Hi all, I was on Cave Dog's team for most of his 14ers effort and for some of his other challenges. I just found out about this, and I wanted to add in my congratulations to Homie on his insanely impressive run.

This brought back some really great memories for me, so thank you for that, and thanks for being an inspiration!

Burns Dog
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

congrats homie!!!! even though you didnt realize your goal, i would say this has been a huge success, both for you and the community. the number of people who have been motivated to run or hike or climb (myself included) by your exploits is probably huge. You should take pride in how many people you have inspired to strive for greatness.

congrats man, you definitely have my respect!! =D> =D> =D>
Vincit Qui Patitur
heide
14ers: 17 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by heide »

John & Eric -

Congratulations to each of you on your respective fantastic achievements!

As Gene913 & others have said, your efforts are (waaay) beyond impressive. Following your pursuits on 14ers.com the last two weeks has been totally compelling, utterly inspiring, and jaw dropping testament to what motivated, disciplined, dedicated, and iron-willed human beings are capable of achieving.

Thank you for allowing others like me to in some very small measure share your endeavors.

And best of luck in whatever your choices might be further challenges.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

John,

Congrats on an incredible accomplishment!
Prairie Tater
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Prairie Tater »

Just to show that Homie is not strictly a "landlubber", I thought I'd share this photo of John & Lori when they paddled Brown's Canyon with us a few years ago.

matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

This thread is soooo long! I havent been able to keep up with it all!

Congrats to you on an amazing run! I think back to some of the longer days or weekends Ive had on 14ers and think about how tired or worn out I was and then try to imagine doing 41 14ers in a week - inconceivable!

Very impressive! Congrats... =D>
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

I was in Chicago Basin/Needle Creek area area this weekend so I missed following the last part of this adventure. That was a great run on the 14ers Homie! You did more than most mortals couild ever accomplish!

My original plans called for me to get the four peaks in the Chicago group in two days. I decided on 1 day after following the first 5 days of your adventure. You are an inspiration. Thank you, to you and your team for including all of us, in allowing us to follow along your journey.

Ed
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Just curious, but I'd love to see a book result out of this. The record itself is so amazing, and the pursuit was so inspiring to those of us who take an entire day to climb one peak (if we're lucky).

(Ignoring the obvious joke that a book could be written just by CTRL-C/CTRL-V on this thread. :lol: )
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

I did 40% of a Homie day today.

EDIT: a Homie Day is 12500 vertical feet.
Last edited by jdorje on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Get Rhythm
14ers: 21 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Get Rhythm »

Hey John,

When word went out on the Minions email list that you were going for the 14ers record, I was elated and inspired. It was a blast "watching" you laying it on the line and seeing so many people put their hopes on your shoulders and shins. Your week of running and climbing was an amazing accomplishment. I hope all is well with you and yours and that your injuries have healed. This epic didn't kill you, so I hope it made you stronger. You certainly have made this community stronger - it motivated me to register after being a lurker since the site opened!

I'm sure many here would love to hear your side of the story. Please tell it when you have the time.
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

jdorje wrote:I did 40% of a Homie day today.
I like this thought. I propose the 14ers.com community start using a new word. Definitions are flexible.

Homie -- adjective
Definition of homie - A crazy intense day or more of completely burning up the trail. In a sentence - "I did 40% of a Homie day today."

Homied -- verb
In a sentence - "You f#@#in homied the Wilson group."

Any other additions or variations are welcome. :lol:
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.