Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Re: My 14er record attempt

Post by Neil »

Hey Homie, if you ever read this, I ran that first mile ever tonight. It was awful...nine minutes!!! Not even running. But it would have been never without your inspiration. I can't wait to keep going. Thank you and Cave Dog for putting your big goals out there so some of us can have the guts to live our small ones.
Flips
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

Cave Dog, you gotta put that pic of you in the air on Democrat in your avatar. I love that!
Unlike Andrew Hamilton, I’m not always hiking. Sometimes I’m sleeping.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

This has been one of the most amazing things I've witnessed on this site. My heart and head are full of new goals and I'm so honored to be around to witness Homie's incredible journey. You are an inspiration, Homie. I'm in awe, and just think the world of you! I'm so happy you're healthy. Here's to you, my man!
RockyMtnHigh
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RockyMtnHigh »

forbins_mtn wrote:This has been one of the most amazing things I've witnessed on this site. My heart and head are full of new goals and I'm so honored to be around to witness Homie's incredible journey. You are an inspiration, Homie. I'm in awe, and just think the world of you! I'm so happy you're healthy. Here's to you, my man!

+1 to this. The inspiration that is coming from this thread is simply amazing. Cave Dog and Homie, you both are class acts, what you both accomplished is mind boggling.
Flips
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

Friend: What are you reading?
Me: A book.
Friend: What's the name of it?
Me: "My 14er Record Attempt"

:)
Unlike Andrew Hamilton, I’m not always hiking. Sometimes I’m sleeping.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

This was a very special event to observe over the past week. While this was an attempt to better a bar set by Cave Dog, ultimately it was a very personal attempt to see how far one can push one's self to reach his goal. I would like to thank Homie and his crew for including us on this adventure. I believe the unexpected and tremendous outcome of this attempt was that it has inspired and reinvigorated all kinds of folks to examine those personal goals and go get after them. Quite a worthy accomplishment in and of itself.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Cave Dog wrote:Homie,

You are an inspiration to me and to so many others. I am so sorry that it did not work out for you. My heart sunk when I heard the news. I have been in your position before. It is tough, really tough. You put so much of yourself on the line to make such an effort. My heart goes out to you. I have so much respect for what you have accomplished. You have done something that I did not think was possible: you united hundreds upon hundreds of people from around the world. There are more than 1600 comments, and growing, on your thread, and not one of them was negative. That is amazing. It is a testament to you. It is a testament to your having inspired so many different people, all with diverse backgrounds, but united in our effort to root for our Homie. Your adventure has in no small way become our adventure. Thank you for sharing.

-Cave Dog
Cave Dog, thanks again for taking the time to post in this thread. I don't think I ever appreciated how high you set the bar on your record setting run. I also enjoyed looking at some of your other endurance exploits on your website. You have shown nothing but class and respect and that seems to be a rare thing these days. 8)
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
BeastoftheEast
14ers: 10 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BeastoftheEast »

Homie: What you did in the mountains was phenomenal; what you've done for this community is profound. The past week has been unforgettable. When I see the list of states and countries where people tuned in, and think of a geography teacher using your Spot tracks as a learning tool in real time for a class of students, well, the power and scope of your influence become tangible. To open one door for a stranger on what's possible is a selfless act, a tremendous gift—and you opened up possibilities for many. Thank you for sharing this odyssey in public. Best wishes to you and your family from a hiker in the east.
The beast is in all of us. And so is the best.
Harvester
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harvester »

Thank you Homie.

You don't know me and I don't know you. I've been watching this adventure for a week and now feel its necessary that i make a post (like payment for an awesome week of exciting entertainment). I pale in comparison to your mountaineering skills, I can only hope that someday I'll be taking my 50th break on the side of a trail, hear steps and manage to look up in time to catch a glimpse of you passing me, and I will say, 'was that Homie?' My kids have been asking me on the trips to and from school, "Where's Homie today Dad?" You have made an impact here that is larger than a record, you've motivated thousands if not tens of thousands.

Well done man, that was incredible.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Some day I hope to have 2 months off and I'll go for my own 14ers speed time. I won't be challenging the record.
I could see getting it done in one month, but any less than that would be pushing it for me. One month would be about 2 mountains a day. And they are going for an average of almost 6 mountains a day?
That is how bad ass homie, Cave Dog, Hamilton, and these other guys are.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Aekero
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aekero »

I don't know what shocked me more; that the record was ten days or that someone was trying to break it. Amazing thread to follow, truly remarkable.
klinger
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by klinger »

Bill is getting blamed now for too many of my bodily functions. The last week as I have enjoyed this thread, and tears of joy and inspiration were running down my face, I had to pound the keyboard and shout, "Damn you Bill Middlebrook!". \:D/

Many posts have mentioned "the story" and someone putting it together...um...we have a pretty rocking "piece" right here, the story of one man's adventure through hundreds and thousands of eyes and hearts.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks Homie, Cave Dog, the Roach's and support team for contributing to this thread and allowing us all to be blessed by your examples.