This forum is read-only
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Re: My 14er record attempt

Post by djkest »

ThuChad wrote:
jdorje wrote:I did 40% of a Homie day today.
I like this thought. I propose the 14ers.com community start using a new word. Definitions are flexible.

Homie -- adjective
Definition of homie - A crazy intense day or more of completely burning up the trail. In a sentence - "I did 40% of a Homie day today."

Homied -- verb
In a sentence - "You f#@#in homied the Wilson group."

Any other additions or variations are welcome. :lol:
I like it!
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
herdbull
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Sorry I've been gone (climbing 14ers) and not able to read through 140 some pages of responses but I have a question. I was on Columbia on 9/1 and ran into someone (Eric) I believe, going for a record. I believe it was this speed record. I talked briefly with his pacer and was later passed by then while descending.

Is he here? Or was he here? I now have this total sinking feeling and feeling of remorse for not stopping when I passed him laying on the side of the trail and recovering. A feeling of total toolness comes to mind as well. If anything can someone point me to the page or thread on his attempt? I wanted to shake his hand and say thank you for being such an inspiration. It was humbling to see him run past me and I even caught a bit of video of them as they blew past me.

Thanks everyone and sorry for not being able to follow along. I just returned home back to WI last night and this has been on my mind the whole way home.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

It's here, and it was a lot of fun to watch! I won't ruin the ending for you... you'll just have to read the whole thread :-D
YEONDERIN
14ers: 50 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by YEONDERIN »

With Homiecomming week still in our recent memories I find myself thinking not so much about breaking records but rather about breaking out of our comfort zone. This seems to be a quality present in many of those we look up to such as Homie, Cave Dog etc. Last night while riding my bike home from work I passed what appeared to be several blind people jogging, each with a pacer by their side. It was one of those lump-in-the -throat moments for me as I slowed down to watch each of them breaking out of their comfort zone and finding their own Homie experience, even if only for a few minutes. I wonder how many blind people have climbed 14ers? How many people around us are battling through a Homie day for them and we don’t even notice? While this week was certainly about breaking a record, at least on the surface, I’m glad that for many of us it had a much deeper effect. Thanks Homie, Cave Dog and your teams. You have helped me in some very unexpected ways.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)
Obese_goat
14ers: 9 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Obese_goat »

Hell yes yeonderin! The first person who comes to mind from your post is Erik Weihenmayer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Weihenmayer He is blind, he is from boulder, and he has climbed Everest! Dude is amazing. He beat like 8 other teams of 3 to the finish 2nd place on a tv show called expedition impossible. They were climbing up and down mountains, rappelling, zip lining, cliff diving, kayaking, and driving through morrocco while solving puzzles. Kinda like the amazing race. I use to see blind people skiing at winter park all the time becasue it is the number 1 disability resort in the country or something. It always blew my mind. Its always humbling to see somebody who is less fortunate doing something you can barely even think of trying as a fully capable person. Love reading inspirational stories like those of Homie, Cavedog, and Erik. Amazing individuals for sure! Homie is a beast! Its unfortunate his injuries plagued him but damn he made one hell of an impressive effort! Maybe next year! Much respect to all involved in this record attempt!
“The mountain has left me feeling renewed, more content and positive than I’ve been for weeks, as if something has been given back after a long absence, as if my eyes have opened once again. For this time at least, I’ve let myself be rooted in the unshakable sanity of the senses, spared my mind the burden of too much thinking, turned myself outward to experience the world and inward to savor the pleasures it has given me.”― Richard Nelson

"Going to the mountains is going home.”― John Muir
Dan England
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dan England »

Here's my story on Prater's record attempt nearly a year later. It's long, but you all inspired me to write it:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/6 ... rd-attempt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;