Forum rules
This forum is read-only
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by TaylorHolt »

aortolani14 wrote:I am learning, and I do every time I go into the mountains. I was resourceful enough to get me and the young man that was with me to safety. Thats what I was hanging onto through all of this. I am sorry if you expected more from me in the past, I can only promise to protect her with everything I am in the future.
Live and Learn. I hope this experience doesn't deter your new and growing passion for the mountains.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
solitude
Trip Reports (0)

Post by solitude »

Just ask Missy where she'd like to live.

First off, I have nothing to do with this situation. It's not my decision and that decision should be, as others have said, left to authorities, rescuers, and the owner. I'm not even sure where I stand on my own opinion of where Missy should go. However, I think it should be added that a lot of people posted saying the dog should "have a say" and would "want to go back home." Dogs are beyond loyal. OF COURSE Missy would choose to go with her previous owner. A dog that has been constantly abused and neglected it's entire life with the same owner, will also most often still "choose" to be with that person. That is the beauty of a dogs unconditional loyalty and love. It does not appear in any way that is the case with this dogs life with her owner, but it just makes no sense to me that people would suggest to make the decision based on the dogs choice. It is a matter of WHAT IS BEST FOR THE DOG, and that decision cannot be made BY the dog, just as a child taken out of an unfit home has the decision made for them of where they will receive the BEST QUALITY OF LIFE, not just what they are comfortable and familiar with.

Although he shows remorse and says he's learned his lesson, if Missy's owner cannot be trusted to be fully responsible for her safety and well-being (which also concerns me that someone said she will have costly vet bills now and yet her owner stated he would have to borrow money just to reimburse rescuers), then it is up to the proper authorities to make the decision (although it may just be a matter of legal rights and go no further) of where Missy will receive the BEST QUALITY OF LIFE, not just what she chooses as familiar. Just my $.02.
"The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask"
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

Having been away for a couple of days, I just got around to reading (most of) this thread. What a great outcome for the dog and everyone who helped rescue her as well as support for those who went up, you all are awesome! =D>

As far as the owner situation goes, I wasn't there, therefore I didn't see what went down, therefore I'm not going to judge his actions.
Aekero
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aekero »

everyone who went to rescue her, you guys are amazing!!!!
nfire
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by nfire »

my first 14er after moving to colorado was bierstadt. i climbed it with my dog. there was a guy up there who told me "dont worry man, there's nothing on the traverse that a dog couldn't handle!". I sure am glad in my gaperdom that i didn't listen to that guy. glad missy was saved and huge thanks to the rescuers.
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

Aekero wrote:everyone who went to rescue her, you guys are amazing!!!!
This is the understatement of my lifetime.
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

nfire wrote:my first 14er after moving to colorado was bierstadt. i climbed it with my dog. there was a guy up there who told me "dont worry man, there's nothing on the traverse that a dog couldn't handle!". I sure am glad in my gaperdom that i didn't listen to that guy. glad missy was saved and huge thanks to the rescuers.
I did a web search on crossing the sawtooth with my Dog before we ever left the house. I don't know if it was this site, or some other site, but it said very close to this, "People take their dogs through there all of the time. You have to have a harness of some kind and some ropes to help them with one or two manuevers but other than that careful path selection is all that is needed." This was so wrong. I can't say how much I wish I never took her down there. All of this would never have happened. Missy did the decent on Bross' talus slope and I thought that this was going to be similar. No one should ever take a dog through that saddle unless they can easily carry them. I was so unprepared for this whole ordeal.
Purrksmom
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Purrksmom »

Missy's I-hope-FORMER-owner, would you have left your KID up there??? You were spotted going up ... certainly someone would have spotted ONE of you going down, had one stayed with the helpless injured LOYAL dog (who stayed RIGHT WHERE YOU LEFT HER, MAN!). I hope you NOW have the sense (doubtful!) to never take anyone up there who is (a) not a human who can speak for him/herself; and (b) not 18 or older. You are freakin pathetic, dude.
pkripper
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pkripper »

So many other people would have passed her on after the first hole in a shoe or ripped up book or pile of poo on the floor. This is an EXTREME situation. People do not always think clearly when they are GRIEF STRICKEN!!
Chewing and poo are what any dog owner deals with. To even suggest that putting up with that is somehow heroic is crazy. You speak volumes as to his ability to care for his dog.
His blisters were not an extreme situation. Most people consider their pets like family as do I . But I can assure you I would rather die on a mountain than leave my dying family member there.
I also agree with Tim in saying he prefers to hike without dogs. There are some places dogs just don't belong and that is life.
Last week someone started a thread asking if a well behaved dog could do the Bells Traverse. Really! This is not just an isolated incident and if others take dogs on some of these trails it's just as irresponsible.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

You left your dog in the mountains to die. All the excuses in the world don't change that. You had dozens of outlets to do more, even as simple as making a lost dog flyer and posting it at the trailhead. I'm surprised you had to "learn" that lesson. Even a 5 year old child would make a flyer for a lost pet.

Thank goodness for the community who was strong when you were weak.

Anthony, you have guts posting here. You'll be very, very lucky to get your dog back. If you don't, you have no right to challenge that. In a life or death situation, you turned your back on your dog and even after you had taken care of yourself (in itself, a good decision) you took no further action. It is beyond many of us how you didn't think to post flyers at the trailhead. Or have a friend do it.

Moving forward, you would be well served by some of the hiking clinics at the CMC or even the free clinics on "Hiking a 14er" that pop up at REI from time to time. Leave your dog at home. Figure out what class 3 means. Ask questions on these forums.

In the end, you got very, very lucky you were on a highly traveled mountain and there were rescuers ready to step up. Nearly everyone has gotten in a bad situation on mountains, now you know there is a community at large willing to help. Next time instead of praying and feeling sorry for yourself, try actually doing something. Sure, it can be hard to ask for help but isn't your dog's life worth it?

All that being said, please stay safe in the mountains and take your time. As pissed off as I am at your lack of action, when you find your way back to the mountains you will have a new awareness and I hope for many less dramatic adventures in the mountains for you. And maybe when you are ready for responsible dog ownership, stick to the class 2 routes.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Just a helpful hint for those of you getting tired of the notifications for replies to this thread -- if you don't want to receive the email notifications, simply click "Unsubscribe topic" at the very bottom left-hand side of this page (if you reply again, you'll be re-subscribed, though). Carry on! :mrgreen:
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

After scanning much of this thread, I have several questions. Forgive me if these have already been asked or answered.

1. Who currently is in possession of Missy?
2. Is the person, or group of people who took Missy to the vet financially capable of paying her vet bills? - If not, I would be happy to pay a portion since I did not actively participate in the rescue.
3. Has the person who is in possession of Missy spoken with her owner? If so, how about an update.

Thank you to all who put your lives in danger to save an animal that desperatley needed your assistance. You should be thought of as heros and you each set a fine example of what a community really is. =D>

As for what should be done with Missy, it is my opinion that she should not be returned to her original owner. I do understand both sides - that is where the dog would go because she is loyal like all dogs are - or - her owner neglected her and does not deserve a second opportunity to prove himself.

Additionally, I understand having to go out of town for work - I own a small business. If one of my employees was ever in a similar situation, I believe I would rather help than deny time off to seach for a dying family member. It I did deny the time off, I hope that person would tell me to jump in the lake and immediatley go searching for the dog using every resource available.

Thank you again to all who helped in this incident.