Forum rules
This forum is read-only
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Re: Hot Tub on Mt. Democrat

Post by KeithK »

somethingrandom wrote: I can assure you that while some antics that go on these days with 14ers, this one was no less valid than Crossfitter taking kegs up peaks. (which mind you I have been a part of one of those parties as well and its badass)
While I can see the tendency to compare the two, I will disagree that they are similar. We PAID for those kegs, took up donations, and gave that money to 14er related non-profits. Kris only posted that we did it afterward, which some misinterpreted as bragging, or gloating, but that was never his intent. Although, carrying a 55 pound keg to the summit of a 14er is certainly something that he can brag about, at least to the extent that most of us wouldn't even try it, let alone do it.

I couldn't care less if Mandy wants to play in hot tubs, or rubber boats, or show her bare back to the world... but there's no arguing that she does it quite publicly, and quite frequently.
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

It's amazing how there is ALWAYS at least one thread containing people bitching about what others do in the mountains and how they do it. Jesus.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Tony1 wrote:It's amazing how there is ALWAYS at least one thread containing people bitching about what others do in the mountains and how they do it. Jesus.
Completely missed the point. It's not what took place in the mountains that has people bitching.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

We need a 14ers fight night. They do MMA fight nights at Grizzly Rose every so often, I bet we could set something up and settle all of this haha. We could organize in teams representing each 14er range. Me and Deuce get to square off first ;)

But of course we need to notify the media first. I mean, why else would you ever want to do anything unless someone was paying attention. We also need to get at least 3 girls to take their shirts off so a couple dozen dudes can pseudo hit on them through the intertubes and help promote the event.

BATTLE!
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

Bean wrote:
Tony1 wrote:It's amazing how there is ALWAYS at least one thread containing people bitching about what others do in the mountains and how they do it. Jesus.
Completely missed the point. It's not what took place in the mountains that has people bitching.
Yeah, wanting attention and stuff with the media and all that. When it comes down to it though, it's bitching about what others are doing.

Why should anyone care whether people advertise themselves or not? I don't. If it's not hurting anyone or anything why does it matter? I'm just a fan of minding my own business.
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 41 14
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

SurfNTurf wrote:
Neil wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:that still doesn't explain the need to post multiple times on the forum, blast every little update on Facebook and notify the media.
You're right, it doesn't. But again, why are you worried about it? Let people do what they want. Who cares. This is a tired subject that has been going on with Mandy and others over the years. Why do people get their panties in a bunch about what other people want to do with their lives? Let it go.
SolarAlex wrote:live and let live
Exactly! :D
Why are you worried about me being worried about it?
Jeff, why are you worried about him being worried about you worrying about it?

This is a good thread 8)
Good luck breeds bad habits.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Tony1 wrote:Why should anyone care whether people advertise themselves or not? I don't. If it's not hurting anyone or anything why does it matter? I'm just a fan of minding my own business.
Because said person is using 14ers.com for self-promotion without providing any compensation. It's approaching a spam-level of annoyance.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Please continue to post promoting events such as these, but only do so BEFORE the event as a common courtesy to people like me that would like to make sure we are as FAR AWAY from said event as possible.

I actually climbed Mt Buckskin via Kite Lake this past weekend, you have no idea how happy I was that I did that climb on SUNDAY and not the day of the parking lot hot tub party. Common courtesy to your fellow mountaineers is to let them know when keggers and hot tub parties are occurring on summits so we can stay the heck away. I know we shouldn't expect solitude on 14ers, but in late April that is not an unreasonable expectation. Its part of the reason I chose to repeat Buckskin when I did, I figured the parking lot would not be as crowded as it would in full summer climbing season.

And yes I am being serious, I really really do not want to accidentally stumble upon any of these type of events in the future, climbing Buckskin this weekend was a close call. If you are worried about the opposite happening and dudes crashing your party because they want to see you in a bikini (or less), then please PM me. I won't tell anybody when the party is and at least I can avoid it that way.

Its your life and you should be able to enjoy it, but as these things are occurring on public land (well maybe not Democrat), the rest of us should be able to avoid them if we want...
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Maybe nobody has soaked in a hot tub on a 14er summit, but they have taken a hot shower.

The local news had a story on the Kite Lake thingy, and said that the group had "accomplished their goal". I suspect that is the case (free beer + publicity), and we won't be seeing this on any summits.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Chicago Transplant wrote:Please continue to post promoting events such as these, but only do so BEFORE the event as a common courtesy to people like me that would like to make sure we are as FAR AWAY from said event as possible.

I actually climbed Mt Buckskin via Kite Lake this past weekend, you have no idea how happy I was that I did that climb on SUNDAY and not the day of the parking lot hot tub party. Common courtesy to your fellow mountaineers is to let them know when keggers and hot tub parties are occurring on summits so we can stay the heck away. I know we shouldn't expect solitude on 14ers, but in late April that is not an unreasonable expectation. Its part of the reason I chose to repeat Buckskin when I did, I figured the parking lot would not be as crowded as it would in full summer climbing season.

And yes I am being serious, I really really do not want to accidentally stumble upon any of these type of events in the future, climbing Buckskin this weekend was a close call. If you are worried about the opposite happening and dudes crashing your party because they want to see you in a bikini (or less), then please PM me. I won't tell anybody when the party is and at least I can avoid it that way.

Its your life and you should be able to enjoy it, but as these things are occurring on public land (well maybe not Democrat), the rest of us should be able to avoid them if we want...
Thank you Mike

Veronikas Mandy - Stay the hell out of the Eagles Nest Wilderness.
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

lordhelmut wrote:Veronikas Mandy - Stay the hell out of the Eagles Nest Wilderness.
No worries. There is no parking lot there.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
ctlee
14ers: 19  4 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ctlee »

:roll: Respect the mountains--and everyone else that uses them.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi