Forum rules
This forum is read-only
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hot Tub on Mt. Democrat

Post by dmccool »

If you don't feed the stray dog, it'll go away.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

Without stories like this one it sure would be yawnsville around here.

I think the super smart mines kids will continue their hot tub hijinx and eventually get it working on the summit. I just hope they try again soon, snow up there must be melting pretty quick and I don't wanna wait til next season to laugh more about it.

I imagine when they are successful it will go something like this:
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
cool_stew
14ers: 9  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cool_stew »

When it does happen, let us know. I'm so in!
MrFrumpylane
14ers: 39 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrFrumpylane »

MountainFever wrote:Not even going to read this thread. All I have to say is 9 news was wrong...and the real story was done on Fox21. If you actually listen to their story they didn't even call me and ask if they could air it...it was NOT solar powered and the "Colorado school of mine" had absolutely nothing to do with it. One last thing. This tub WILL BE on the top of a 14er...and I don't care what anyone says about it! :) You all have a wonderful day!!! I'm out!
Have to say that I'm surprised that it was Fox with the "real story". 8)
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thetoddman »

I didn't catch the 9news spot on TV, but can't imagine how they got it "wrong" after viewing the report of this story on the 9news website.

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=266036

It contains a video supplied by none other than MountainFever herself documenting it all and the written report seemed accurate as well.

I gotta say I have to agree with some of the sentiments expressed by Chicage Transplant. I did Lincoln from Kite Lake two days prior to the hot tub date and glad I didn't return back at the trailhead to the commotion.

Having said that, if a repeat performance is in the works, I offer the following design for MoutainFever's consideration (the status of patent protection is unknown, but I'm pretty sure the picture was taken on the summit of Pike's Peak): :D

semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

This conversation reminds me of a psych class I took in college. After everyone crammed theories and modes of thinking, the prof came in the morning of the test and wrote on the board one question. "Why?" He didnt say anything. Just wrote it on the board and left. Befuddled students, myself included, opened our blue book and began spewing all sorts of psych answers and so forth. When it was all said and done, only one guy got an "A". He answered the question "Why?" by simply writing a question in response: "Why not?"
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

semitrueskerm wrote:This conversation reminds me of a psych class I took in college. After everyone crammed theories and modes of thinking, the prof came in the morning of the test and wrote on the board one question. "Why?" He didnt say anything. Just wrote it on the board and left. Befuddled students, myself included, opened our blue book and began spewing all sorts of psych answers and so forth. When it was all said and done, only one guy got an "A". He answered the question "Why?" by simply writing a question in response: "Why not?"
That must have been a huge class, since I've heard that story a few dozen times. :wink:
saxlover
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

doug, when was your goalie math expletive ever in a psych class?

one another note, lots of brave people hiding behind computer screens on this thread. stay calm and carry on. your happiness is determined by you and you alone.
Andrew Tobin
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

saxlover wrote:doug, when was your goalie math expletive ever in a psych class?
All of us grad students used to hang out together at the UMC. :lol:

AT, we've got to climb some mountains this summer! Or at least get on the ice together.
saxlover
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

aw ya! im a little better of a hockey player now (not by much though) did a couple seasons in gunnison and did drop-in in chicago a bit. im always down for some drop in or league hockey. ill connect with you about 14er plans. maybe something will line up for us :)
Andrew Tobin
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

I only have one objection in this whole affair, and that's with allowing yourself to be filmed drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon on purpose.

The humanity.
MrFrumpylane
14ers: 39 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrFrumpylane »

SuperiorTrailHiker wrote:I only have one objection in this whole affair, and that's with allowing yourself to be filmed drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon on purpose.

The humanity.
Don't knock on PBR.. I mean, they did discover the incredible sensation that is Patrick Swayze.