Our Portable Hot Tub for 14k feet.

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Our Portable Hot Tub for 14k feet.

Post by kansas »

So let me get this straight, after 2 months of bragging about your grand plan to haul this sh!tshow to the top of a 14er, and flat out refusing to take helpful advice from others because your engineer friends have it all figured out, the end result is using already melted water at the Kite Lake parking lot? Ummm well done, I guess?

Maybe we should just combine this thread with http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34702
Attachments
hot tub.jpg
hot tub.jpg (75.12 KiB) Viewed 13587 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
Char7311
14ers: 28 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Char7311 »

Mandy I think it's awesome and most importantly I hope it made for a wonderful birthday!
letourneau41
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letourneau41 »

I think this a great as well. Looks like you had a lot of fun. Congrats!
Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

kansas wrote:So let me get this straight, after 2 months of bragging about your grand plan to haul this sh!tshow to the top of a 14er, and flat out refusing to take helpful advice from others because your engineer friends have it all figured out, the end result is using already melted water at the Kite Lake parking lot? Ummm well done, I guess?

Maybe we should just combine this thread with http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34702
You really need to take a serious look at yourself and look back at what you just said. Mandy put in a lot of effort here and for you to say that well is just disgusting. So what if they decided to have the party at 12k. Just on case you didn't know, this was a birthday party, not a 14er climb
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
jmoney
14ers: 26  8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jmoney »

Way to get after it ya'll. I'm so glad you guys decided to set it up there instead of the summit, but not glad I didn't stick around! The weather was crazy up there. Within 10 minutes of being on the summit we were ready to high-tail it out of there and that was fully dressed and in the sun lol! We were definitely worrying about everyone, glad to see it went well.

I gotta know..how did the bike/trailer system work out? All in all probably one of the best engineering feats in the history of mankind!
Last edited by jmoney on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Extreme skiing is more like controlled falling"
LIV
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (21)

Post by LIV »

Mandy - Organizing and pulling off something like this took perseverance and some major management skills. If I were the head of a large corporation, I would hire you as a manager in a second. People who are innovative, able to think outside the box and overcome numerous naysayers and obstacles are truly too few and far between. You combine it with fun! Happy Birthday girl. I knew you would succeed! =D>
Last edited by LIV on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Lemke
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Lordhelmut, you make me sick!

What ever happened to the sense of adventure, breaking away from the effin society we live in and live life on the edge of your seat and not at the mercy of what this stupid society we live in does to us.
Do yourself a favor and watch 180 degrees south...You can learn something.

EDIT: Look at that he deletes his post... [-X
Last edited by Matt Lemke on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lemke Climbs
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Matt - picking my battles wisely this monday morning. And what does a documentary on a sweet trip have to do with jerry rigged hot tubs at Kite Lake? Trying to reason with anyone on a public forum has proved completely useless over the years, so I'll just concede. I'm not saying i'm right, I just don't feel like defending my stance, which was a tad harsh i guess in the first place. I'll just go ahead and admit I was wrong and you all are right and I should expand my horizons and live life on the edge of my seat. I'll rewatch 180 Degree South and try to find the meaning of life as well. Thanks for the advice.
Matt Lemke
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

No worries man...I was harsh too probably due to the stress I put myself through for school (finals is now). Sometimes just breaking away from society and living freely without anyone telling you what to do (like professors, supervisors, parents, policemen etc.) can be the most rewarding thing you ever do. Drop back 50 years and live with mother nature without all the things we claim to need to survive. Starting next week I will put society behind me (school/work in my case) and travel the country in my car with all the necessities like food and gear. I'll have just enough money to pay for food and gas for 5 months (which is lower than everyone thinks it is).
This is just what he did in 180 degrees south....he just picked up and left for an unplanned 6 month adventure and lived life. If he needed a little money, he improvised. Exactly what I'll do this summer.

By October I'll re-join society and start graduate school....and when I have finished my days of full dirt bagging, I'll get a real job and actually contribute to society then. There is no reason today's youth can't live cheap and with nature for awhile (as long as no crimes against humanity occur...this group of people I do not respect at all)

Mandy knows what I'm talking about
Lemke Climbs
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Matt Lemke wrote:What ever happened to the sense of adventure, breaking away from the effin society we live in and live life on the edge of your seat and not at the mercy of what this stupid society we live in does to us.
Brian told me I was unique.
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

Hilarious! Way to get after it MountainFever!

Upset that I missed the deleted post, must have been a good one. Honestly this whole website (and many like it) is pretty damn funny.

Verdict: Everybody's a douchebag. Everyone except me has absolutely no clue, and everything they do is asinine. I'm way better than anyone else that's ever been in a hot tub, or written a trip report, as well as everyone else on this forum. My argument is the only valid one and all you others are fools.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

That is great! Happy Birthday too!

I look forward to hearing about the next time as you continue to dial in the set-up.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)