Petition to rename Kit Carson

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only

Do you agree that Kit Carson should be renamed Mount Crestone?

Yes - rename it!
6%
No - do not rename it!
94%

Total votes: 281
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Petition to rename Kit Carson

Post by gb »

shaunster_co wrote:
gb wrote:The people of Crestone are just trying to correct a mistake made years ago by some guy drawing a map and incorrectly labeling Crestone as KC.
The Hayden Expedition / Survey in 1874 was 'some guy drawing a map'?

I don't know... seems to me it had many different names prior to that
I will reference this:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/historyvi ... %20History
Did you read the article I linked? Then you would have seen this:

One thing that is clear, the mountain had “Crestone” in its name at one time, as an old Hayden Geographic Survey (from which the BGN and US Geographic Survey evolved) map from 1864 clearly shows Kit Carson Peak well east of its present location, with a mountain just named “Crestone” where Kit Carson Mountain is located today.
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shaunster_co »

Interesting...wish they gave a reference. Wonder if they were referring to the entire group as Crestone? Would be curious to know.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

If they change the name, that means we all have to climb it again: "What do you mean you've climbed all the 14ers?! You haven't climbed Mount Crestone yet!" :lol:
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I'd vote for "Haystack Baldy," one of it's old variant names.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Bill, are you going retro with your avatar? ;)
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I'd vote for "Haystack Baldy," one of it's old variant names.
Is that an old photo of you in your new avatar, Bill? More importantly -- is your hair FEATHERED? :shock:
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Rename it Joe Mountain, in honor of Joe Montana.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

d_baker wrote:Bill, are you going retro with your avatar? ;)
tmathews wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:I'd vote for "Haystack Baldy," one of it's old variant names.
Is that an old photo of you in your new avatar, Bill? More importantly -- is your hair FEATHERED? :shock:
Why, YES, that was from my "big hair" days! I'm thinking of bringing back the long, feathered look... hehe
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

:shock: :-"
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

More info:

The Mount Crestone and Tranquility Peak proposals and the initial arguments for them are in Review List 397 which can be found at the following link: http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/quarterly_list.htm
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

The proponent also cites another reason why he believes the name Kit Carson Mountain should be
eliminated; the individual for whom the summit and nine other features in the State were named is
not popular in the community of Crestone. He notes, “They feel that Kit Carson was a war
criminal, not a war hero. The Native Americans, Buddhists and Hindus in the area seem very
united on this, and they represent a large group of the population.”
Lol, really? They want to rename it because a very small community of people calls it the wrong name, and a few of them don't like Kit Carson? Please.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
OBC13
14ers: 38 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBC13 »

The elections are over for a while.
If Kit were still around, the attack ads (in this case, true) would sink the naming of the peak after him in a heartbeat. I can't see renaming peaks that have been named for over 100 years for political purposes based on our 21st century understanding of 19th century facts. Carson's death march on the Navajo does not pass any test of morality. But as has been said by others, we already have peaks that are named after what some probably think are unworthy recipients. I think it is better to just let this go. If not, then where does it stop?! Another Crestone is not the answer even if it does get renamed.
Here's another link on Kit Carson:
http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/a_c/carson.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OBC13