Petition to rename Kit Carson

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only

Do you agree that Kit Carson should be renamed Mount Crestone?

Yes - rename it!
6%
No - do not rename it!
94%

Total votes: 281
jf32
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Petition to rename Kit Carson

Post by jf32 »

theo - I think I understand your point in that the decision on the name of a mountain (I value them as more than a mound of dirt and rocks) isn't important. It won't save lives or pay off the deficit (or whatever it is you deem to be important).

That said it still is a decision that's currently being played out. Are you honestly surprised that people who spend a lot of time climbing mountains/hiking attach a word or words to their experience? Is it that far fetched that on a climbing website individuals are strongly defending the historical name that generations of hikers/climbers/enthusiasts have associated with a mountain and that there's a bit of incomprehension as to how or why a few individuals have put into motion a proposal that renames a mountain with disregard to its history or naming conventions?
When you come to a fork in the road take it
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

theo9805 wrote:lol. i doubt i'll ever let someone get me worked up enough as much as you are about the NAME of a mountain. a principle i live by :) now if they wanted to build a road to the top, forbid people from going to the top, etc., that'd be a different story. but it's about a NAME. it's like those religions getting mad that gays would use the WORD marriage to describe them getting married. it's a WORD. give me a break.
Your profile says you go to DU, and as another practitioner of law, I could not disagree with you more.

Saying a name/namesake/phrase does not matter is questioning the entire existence of a "word" which has and will forever be interpreted by the learned. No matter the type of law you end up practicing (if any), you will be continuously arguing the "word" of the law.

If you have no issue with changing the name then I presume you wouldnt mind calling it Osama bin Laden peak? Or Ivana Fukalittlechild mountain? I mean really... Saying you dont care about a name is just as absurd as those trying to limit the free speech and expression of the majority. Not only has the peak held the name without issue for many years, it is the desire of the majority to hold it in the face of the pushing minority. Now we can argue all day long that the constitution is ONLY in existence to protect the 3% who want to bitch about something, but that does not belong in this thread. What does belong here is questioning changing the name of a contour of the Earth. Would you be ok with changing Mt Everest to Peak of the United States? I think not.

My $.02
Last edited by somethingrandom on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
theo9805
14ers: 7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by theo9805 »

i see i've struck something here. and i'm sure we're just gonna disagree. which is cool. i just don't see how anyone can get so worked up to fight against a town that obviously found it important enough to want to change the name of a mountain to what they've been calling it for 150 years. realize also that i don't see how they felt it was such a big deal to petition a name change either... same mountain. what the USGS writes on their maps doesn't change a thing - except maybe what your kids will call the peak. this is hypersensitivity on both sides of the argument. i'm not fighting you guys. just trying to figure out how this is so important to you guys that have climbed the peak, what once? twice? did it to check it off your list? called it KC your whole life and it would change your memories of your experiences you had so much because the map now has new symbols referring to the mountain that now you've gotta get on the radio, call your senators, write letters, etc?

i guess i should just be happy that you guys care about the mountains, and i really am. priorities just seem a little off to me. seems there are many more important things to fight/worry about. like accessibility to the outdoors; private/public land, waters, etc. that actually limits your freedom. not what someone else puts as a symbol on a map pointing to some mountain. you can call it whatever you want and attach whatever name/feeling you want to it and to your experiences with it.

Tomato Tomäto. makes no difference. why let it bother you so much? too much hypersensitivity in the world.

gonna take my own advice here and not let you guys that have gotten worked up about this get me worked up :) not worth it. sorry to those i may have offended for my lack of enthusiasm for your efforts. i obviously have a very different perspective than you. keep on fighting for what you believe is right and important.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I think a better option is to rename the town of Crestone to Kit Carsonville.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

somethingrandom wrote:
theo9805 wrote: If you have no issue with changing the name then I presume you wouldnt mind calling it Osama bin Laden peak? Or Ivana Fukalittlechild mountain? I mean really... Saying you dont care about a name is just as absurd as those trying to limit the free speech and expression of the majority. Not only has the peak held the name without issue for many years, it is the desire of the majority to hold it in the face of the pushing minority. Now we can argue all day long that the constitution is ONLY in existence to protect the 3% who want to bitch about something, but that does not belong in this thread. What does belong here is questioning changing the name of a contour of the Earth. Would you be ok with changing Mt Everest to Peak of the United States? I think not.
those are horrible analogies, not very close to this situation. If the name was a mistake on the map long ago I think it should be corrected. I am with the people of Crestone on this one.
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

roland wrote:I suppose that if a few people feel strongly about the need to rename a mountain there will be a few people that feel the same about not renaming it, and the majority won't care.
For me its not about a mountain's name. It is about the minority acting morally superior because of some BS conjured up by the PC police to make everyone else conform to them. Occasionally the majority should be allowed an opinion without it being trampled by a small group of d-bags taking some ridiculous "high ground". ](*,)
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
Kojones
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

somethingrandom wrote:It is about the minority acting morally superior because of some BS conjured up by the PC police to make everyone else conform to them. Occasionally the majority should be allowed an opinion without it being trampled by a small group of d-bags taking some ridiculous "high ground". ](*,)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Can I use this quote for my own purposes? This works on all sorts of levels and in all sorts of situations! Awesome.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

somethingrandom wrote: For me its not about a mountain's name. It is about the minority acting morally superior because of some BS conjured up by the PC police to make everyone else conform to them. Occasionally the majority should be allowed an opinion without it being trampled by a small group of d-bags taking some ridiculous "high ground".
Thanks for some reality. This issue is not at all about the words or names.
And by the way, words are the greatest tool humans possess. Words have meanings.
Only an ACLU lawyer or an ex President would argue:
It depends on what the definition of Is is.
Fight the good fights and don't let the bastards win.
Pat
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Renaming Kit Carson as Mount Crestone would cripple Colorado businesses. Seems like every tech company in Colorado has servers and/or meeting rooms named after 14ers.

Can you imagine the confusion that would result over having servers named: Crestone Peak and Mount Crestone?
Kojones
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

49ersRule wrote:Renaming Kit Carson as Mount Crestone would cripple Colorado businesses. Seems like every tech company in Colorado has servers and/or meeting rooms named after 14ers.

Can you imagine the confusion that would result over having servers named: Crestone Peak and Mount Crestone?
No more confusion than having Crestone Peak and Crestone Needle :wink:

But think of the labor cost to switch meeting rooms and server names! The economy of the state just can't handle that type of burden! We should charge it all back to the town of Crestone.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

They officially renamed a more famous mountain without sending our country into economic turmoil.
maybe a few of those words were meant to be purple.

http://7summits.com/denali/denali.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Euroclimber
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Euroclimber »

dsunwall wrote:They officially renamed a more famous mountain without sending our country into economic turmoil.
maybe a few of those words were meant to be purple.

http://7summits.com/denali/denali.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Since the turn of the 19th century, the official name of this great mountain has not rested in peace"

Is that how you would like Kit Carson (or whatever you call it) to be? People fight to this day on the name of Denali or Mount Mckinley....

The mountain will never be called Crestone Peak as that name is already a mountain, it has been called much longer (104 years if I'm correct) by the name of Kit Carson...so to create even more confusion for 99% of the people out there who know it as Kit Carson (compared to the few people in the town of Crestone) you would change the name of the mountain again to create more confusion. Makes sense to me....***end sarcasm mode*** :roll: