This forum is read-only
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Re: stuck truck on Mt. Cameron

Post by Steve Climber »

wildlobo71 wrote:
upndown wrote:(I know it is more of a trail than a road, but it is designated as a 4wd road) For whatever reason, this one has people armed with tar and feathers.
There's an exclusivity that permeates with many people on this website that the summit experience is for hikers alone, not those in cars. They forgive people who claim to have "summited" Pikes Peak and Mt. Evans by vehicle, but wish to relegate 4WD recreation to places they aren't at and won't be at. When a vehicle enters the realm they feel is sacred to their enjoyment - especially when it sticks out in such an obvious manner as this does - it's an easy target for them to ridicule.
+1
I could not have said it any better myself...as I proved with my blathering rants yesterday...but this is exactly the point I was trying to convey. I may have come across as "scolding" which I admit to...I get pretty fired up when double standards are played.
BillMiddlebrook wrote:I think the biggest problem with this incident, and ones like it in the past, is that he went BEYOND the road and tried driving up a trail. Many hikers probably wouldn't have given it much thought if the vehicle was seen on the road.
Agreed.
BillMiddlebrook wrote:It would be kinda like someone driving their motorcycle up the Mt. Evans road and then saying "Hey, I'll just ride up this trail to get to the top!" The more that I think about it, it may have already been done.
While I think that would it would suck to be hiking up to the summit of Evans and get passed by a motorbike, if that trail was designated on a map as open to motor vehicles, I would not hold it against them.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
DoDaDave
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoDaDave »

As a person of some experience in un-stucking vehicles, I'm making the claim that this vehicle could be retrieved with even a modest effort. I'm betting the driver never tried any of these obvious solutions.

Required:
Four or more diggers with shovels.
Deflate the tires to 10 PSI
4 to 8 hours of butt busting work to create a road, clear the tires and little by little and foot by foot drive the car to safety.

When he saw what he had done he panicked and never considered a solution and just ran away. Whoever you are PM me. I can help.
Age and Experience is really cool. I'm still working on both.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

DoDaDave wrote:As a person of some experience in un-stucking vehicles, I'm making the claim that this vehicle could be retrieved with even a modest effort. I'm betting the driver never tried any of these obvious solutions.

Required:
4 to 8 hours of butt busting work to create a road, clear the tires and little by little and foot by foot drive the car to safety.

When he saw what he had done he panicked and never considered a solution and just ran away. Whoever you are PM me. I can help.
Agree completely with one possible exception - you may not to spend so much time to "create" the road... deflate the tires to 8-10psi (we routinely deflate to 8 just to soften the 4WD experience,) and immediately dig out the first 5-6 feet behind the drive wheels, then taper the scree/talus like a ramp of sorts so the truck can get back on top of the talus where he can slowly back down the way he came up (if this is the 4-8 hours you are talking about, I apologize. I don't think you need to take the "road" very far, that's all.)

There's a reason he stopped there, versus 10 or 100-feet prior to there; if he can get back above the scree he should be okay. But keep the four shovellers at the ready, because backing up with that cross-slope may be unnerving.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
tylermacguire
14ers: 29  2  1 
13ers: 12 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tylermacguire »

DoDaDave wrote:As a person of some experience in un-stucking vehicles, I'm making the claim that this vehicle could be retrieved with even a modest effort. I'm betting the driver never tried any of these obvious solutions.

Required:

Hey Now,there is no room for this kind of helpful and productive posts in this thread. Now lets get back to the ranting, scolding and Monday morning Quarterbacking please. :wink:
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

tylermacguire wrote:

Hey Now,there is no room for this kind of helpful and productive posts in this thread. Now lets get back to the ranting, scolding and Monday morning Quarterbacking please. :wink:

to include the first statement in the rant......
1)did he even have 1 shovel?

2)how about a bumper jack? may have helped to get the ruts built but would need the shovel to get to more solid ground to use...or to shove under the tires for traction
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
gohigher861
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gohigher861 »

I must say, since I don't resort to all this bickering and ranting I fully agreed with TropicalFlabs post. How can everyone be so cruel.Of course that was Wednesday and today is a completely different day and I must say I've shifted my thinking and now agree with larkinrx2.

Let's see: jack, check; shovel, check; hmm traction. Now I get it. You jack up the truck with the jack, take out the shovel and shovel the children under the tires for traction. That way he could have gotten the truck out and insured the children never reproduced. Brilliant, but I can't believe you were thinking that. Terrible, despicable. You should be ashamed. How can you think of such a thing? Etc, etc.....
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

Required:

For what it's worth, this worked for me in upper Michigan when I buried my Ford Bronco up to the axles in snow and ice. Didn't need to deflate the tires though.... just lots of shoveling. :-) I was on a slope about like this guy (next to a snowmobile path). Just dig out/chip underneath and then "build" a ramp.

And before people start bashing me... I was young... in college... and trying to impress a girl. LOL
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

So how is single life treating you?
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by covfrrider »

gohigher861 wrote:I must say, since I don't resort to all this bickering and ranting I fully agreed with TropicalFlabs post. How can everyone be so cruel.Of course that was Wednesday and today is a completely different day and I must say I've shifted my thinking and now agree with larkinrx2.

Let's see: jack, check; shovel, check; hmm traction. Now I get it. You jack up the truck with the jack, take out the shovel and shovel the children under the tires for traction. That way he could have gotten the truck out and insured the children never reproduced. Brilliant, but I can't believe you were thinking that. Terrible, despicable. You should be ashamed. How can you think of such a thing? Etc, etc.....
That would never work... children are too soft and squishy. You'd just end up making mud.
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

My head is going to explode. Luckily 3 X 10 minute Zone 4 intervals on the bike trainer for two hours has curbed my bickering reflex. Where's the scotch!

Hell lets make this a 14ers weekend rescue and we can take some "Talus Monkey" pictures. What do you think?
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

gsliva wrote:My head is going to explode. Luckily 3 X 10 minute Zone 4 intervals on the bike trainer for two hours has curbed my bickering reflex. Where's the scotch!

Hell lets make this a 14ers weekend rescue and we can take some "Talus Monkey" pictures. What do you think?
Yeah, it's pretty obvious we need to change the 14er gathering to Cameron.
We will finally answer the question "How many geeks with desk jobs does it take to unstuck a Toyato at 13,900 feet"
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

cheeseburglar wrote: Yeah, it's pretty obvious we need to change the 14er gathering to Cameron.
We will finally answer the question "How many geeks with desk jobs does it take to unstuck a Toyato at 13,900 feet"
More than you think; we're project managers.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus