Lost: Skis on Torrey's Peak/Ski Recovery Mission

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Brian Kimball
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lost: Skis on Torrey's Peak/Ski Recovery Mission

Post by Brian Kimball »

That SUCKS...is it different if you are shooting in a National Park like Rocky Mountain or Yosemite??? I have seen several pieces released from Rocky Mountain with bouldering footage and of course tons of stuff from Yosemite. I worked with Pete M. and Steph D. on the Diamond free solo project for his new movie The Sharp End "which is of the hook and if you have not seen it you ought too". They did not seem to run into all of this red tape.

What about youtube? I did a little ski descent piece of Torrey Northwest Face in Digital High Def. and posted it-I will assume this is ok...no?

How is a filmmaker and a extreme skier supposed to make a living if they cant shoot and produce in a National Forest? What would be some of the reasons the NFS would not allow someone to release something like this?? UGGGGHH
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Post by benners »

Mrwaffles989 wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:Well, the comments over on TGR were pretty much the same.

Phil, I hope you were being sarcastic when you said this: "So what if 2 out of 3 of my trips turned into SAR calls, who hasn't had a few SAR callouts?"
I'm not sirjongalot. I have no idea who that is. I dont go on TGR. Someone has way too much time...
Some real nice guys over at TGR, classy to say the least. Waffles I wouldn't worry too much about an online gang of egotostical wannabe elitists. I understand the need to have a little fun and I'm not saying harshness is not deserved in this case, but cmon, impersonating waffles and posting his quoted TR on the forum so that all the TGR jackoffs can rip him a new one for being a massive "jong"? Get a life people, go out and ski or climb something and shut up. Waffles, learn from this mistake, get up and get at it again, let these people giggle to themselves in front of their computers, they aren't worth your time.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Couloirman wrote:2) Write a 2 page single spaced letter to your parents and family explaining that you have died in an avalanche, why you partake in the outdoors activities that you do, what you get out of it, how you go about mitigating danger, and saying your last goodbyes to all your loved ones. This letter you should leave somewhere for a friend to give to your relatives when/if you die. The BASE jumping schools often make new students write this before their first jump and it helps to not only put things into perspective, but makes people tread carefully for the rest of their extreme sports careers and helps to really feel the severity of every action and its possible consequences.
That's a cool idea.
Prairie Native wrote:Stop flaming him. He gets it. goodness. I hope none of you ever make a mistake ever. I understand the largeness of the f up, but seriously, keep it positive, or don't post, or PM him.
Reminds me of this thread... http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... l+blunders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glad you're ok waffles.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Media Dude wrote: Still with all that said you aren't supposed to shoot digital video or stills in wilderness areas. They don't enforce the stills part but if you try and make some sizable money on video plan to be met with some resistance. :cussing:
Hmmm. Don't think this is quite correct. Denver Post says the problem was that the filming was done in federal wilderness areas without first seeking a commercial film permit. This story lists several other examples of other commercial filming issues, including the $1,000 fine TGR paid for filming Jamie Pierre's 255-foot huck into a wilderness area.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_4779369
Brian Kimball
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brian Kimball »

Unbelievable...they had a permit for where he hucked from but not from where he landed so they were fined...I want to puke. How depressing is this crap? Can you get a fine for having video up on youtube/vimeo or your personal website??? Because those videos are EVERYWHERE right? Tons, tons and more tons of videos all over the web. Seriously what about the rest of the 50+ movies out right now with rock climbing in National Forest that only have to do with drum and bass music and kids climbing boulders. Why were those films release and not CD's? How lame are these people at NPS anyways...

To think that you cannot produce something as inspiring as this film must be just because it is not about why the Wilderness Area was created...I do not understand.
Just because he was skiing down the mountains does not mean that is the only thing that this film is about. It is obviously about his and everyone elses passion for the Wilderness Area.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Brian Kimball wrote:I worked with Pete M. and Steph D. on the Diamond free solo project for his new movie The Sharp End "which is of the hook and if you have not seen it you ought too".
Off the hook is about right for the Sharp End. I found that movie fascinating, disturbing, and humiliating at the same time. Those people are really nuts.
joe snow
14ers: 27  27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joe snow »

Mrwaffles989 wrote: Maybe I have rented crampons because I am not some rich yuppie front range climber who can afford everything he/she wants.
crampons? huh?
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Waffles is a BC skiing legend at 20. Congrats dude! Just don't let all of this go to your head. Johnny Waterman gets no respect in my book.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian Kimball
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brian Kimball »

CheesyB~

I think my favorite part might be when Ammon takes that huge fall on Surgen General-ripping all that gear. Then when the rope finally catches he starts freakin out like "yeahhh, YES, sh*t yeah...he looks over at C-Mac belaying and gives him this "you want some of this" look OMG...CLASSIC CHARACTER!

Favorite section of the film would have to been the Euro-Chec. section with all the soloing, rock jumping..."jummpppping eiiss my lifeee" and of couse the arette on-site...YIKES!

stay cool bra :wink:
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I'm a little worried about you, BK.
How could your favorite part not have been where the European dude says something like, "we drink some beer here, normally about 8 a day." I think it was also when they were at the area that only allows knotted cords to be used for protection. That was pretty crazy. That poor gringo frantically jamming a knot into a crack, hoping it will hold...
Or am I getting my climbing movies mixed up?
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Waffles,

Did you get your gear back?
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nobody's Fool
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nobody's Fool »

bigmac wrote:This was his call... let him learn from it. Personally I now feel more confident in his judgement because some people need a near miss to learn to respect winter mountaineering. I believe he will be better at choosing routes from now on and that this is a valuable learning experience not something to say he should never go into the mountains again.

Experience is nothing more than a result of bad judgement and near misses. Let us learn from our mistakes (and the mistakes of others) and be mountaineers until we are 90!
After reading the Missouri Mountain trip report at http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain I'm not convinced this kid's learned anything. The only thing I'm confident of is that he'll push his luck until we read his obit. There is precious little room for "bad judgement and near misses" in the mountains.

Heed the CAIC post. You'll get your xscreams back in the spring. In the meantime, stay off steep slopes in winter.