Where are the 14er app saved pictures?

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
budmaster
14ers: 22 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Where are the 14er app saved pictures?

Post by budmaster »

So in preparation of my latest climb I downloaded the pictures on my phone using the app thinking they would be available to me during the hike in locations on no cell signal. To my surprise the 14ers app would not even open without a cell or wifi signal. So where are those downloaded photos? I thought the ability to download photos is so that they could be viewed of line.
erinmarlee
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Where are the 14er app saved pictures?

Post by erinmarlee »

I would like to concur and say I have the same problem. I even looked in my downloaded folder but there are no images there from 14ers.com. For a workaround I ended up taking a bunch of screen shots to get the info saved to my phone. Any help on this is much apprieciated. Thanks!
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

In addition to downloading the photos for offline use,, was the route also saved to My Routes? I've never had an issue with offline use on my Android when that's the case. Don't know where they're stored though.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

From my understanding from the times I have used the app. It saves them in app. I do believe in addition to hitting “save for offline use” you need to also bookmark the route and it will appear in “my routes” and any routes you have saved that have saved pics will have a green dot next to them. Must be a bug or something on that’s not allowing the app to open without signal. iOS 15.6 iPhone 12 Pro is what I’m using.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

nsaladin wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:15 pm From my understanding from the times I have used the app. It saves them in app. I do believe in addition to hitting “save for offline use” you need to also bookmark the route and it will appear in “my routes” and any routes you have saved that have saved pics will have a green dot next to them. Must be a bug or something on that’s not allowing the app to open without signal. iOS 15.6 iPhone 12 Pro is what I’m using.
Agreed. It saves them in the app and the normal app behavior is to open without a signal. I typically place my phone in airplane mode when I hike to save the battery and I have never had an issue accessing my routes and the photos in the app. I have my phone in airplane mode right now and I am accessing my routes with the pics on an Android 12 phone.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

When you “Save Photos for Offline” it simply saves copies IN the app so when you view the app route when you’re offline, as in no cell signal, you can still view the larger photos in the app route description. The app does NOT store them in the Downloads or Files area of your device.

When preparing for a hike, if you view a route in the app and tap the Bookmark icon on the upper right, it will then ask you if you want to save the photos+maps for offline use. Tap Yes.

You can also check to see if you have the route pics ready for the backcountry by going back to the bookmarked route and looking for the Green Dot icon which shows you have the photos saved i the app, for offline use.

And finally, if you open the app and get a spinning icon, that means it’s attempting to check 14ers.com for data updates (route changes mostly). This is normal. If it spins a while, the connection is poor. It tries for up to 60 seconds, however, you can click the Map or Bookmark tabs while this happening and begin using app functions, at least in the iOS version.

Edit: Finally, finally, Bookmarking routes is just to gather them on one tab (My Routes). You can still download route photos for offline use without bookmarking and visa versa.

I hope this clarifies things. Additionally, the HELP page in the app covers all of this as well.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs