In the Google Play Store:
1) Use this link or Search for "14ers.com" in the store. Look for the "14ers.com" app from Developer 14ERS.COM, not the old one from Wyeknot Software which is likely near or at the top of the search results
2) If you previously used the old app, you can now uninstall it from your device
First, I want to thank Nathan Hale for creating the original Android app in 2011 and maintaining it for so many years. His work provided a way to bring full, up-to-date route descriptions into the backcountry, without wasting ink and paper. He also wrote the original (Apple) iOS version that I took over years back. Thanks Nathan!
Over the past two years, I've added a bunch of new functionality to the iOS app so the Android app has fallen a bit behind. I figured it was time to let Nathan off the hook. So, after a knee-surgery in December, I decided to write the Android app from scratch using my current Apple (iOS) version as a blueprint. Once I had it mirroring the iOS version and ready for release, COVID-19 came along. With more time at home, I decided to keep working and extend it to include actual map tracking functionality: Tracks and waypoints, with GPX/KML exporting capability. It's done and I'll be adding it to the Google Play Store in two weeks.
Since it will now be maintained and released from 14ers.com, this will be a new app in the Google Play Store. Nathan plans to release an upgrade to his app which will display a notification stating it will be phased out and users should download the new app, listed under 14ers.com.
Here are the highlights of this new "version":
- A tab navigator has been added to the bottom of the screen, providing quick access to different sections of the app.
- Organize your upcoming hikes with ROUTE BOOKMARKS. When you're viewing a route, tap the bookmark icon on the upper right to add it to "My Routes."
- A new interactive map with 14ers, trailheads, 14er route lines and 13ers. Also, look for the new Location Services button which displays your current location as you hike and allows you to record tracks and waypoints as you hike.
- Tracks and waypoints are maintained on the My Recordings screen, accessed from the map.
- When viewing a route description, a "Highlight Route on Main Map" link loads the route line into the map. Combined with the map's "current location" function, you have an easy way to see your current position on the route.
- App buttons have been switched to blue links.