New 14ers.com ANDROID App!

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: New 14ers.com ANDROID App!

Post by daway8 »

TheOtherIndian wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:07 am Maybe this is asking too much but any chance 13ers would be added in the future?
If you mean 13er routes, many of the 13ers don't even have routes defined on this site but the map in the new app does have the 13er peak overlays which, together with the terrain and satellite views which show a lot of the roads/trails, that will give you a good start on any 13er.

Plus you can tap on any 13er peak on the map and, if you have internet connection, it will take you to the page for that peak.

(Not sure why I'm jumping in for all these questions directed at Bill - guess I have a little too much time on my hands this morning...)
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

daway8 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:36 am
TheOtherIndian wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:07 am Maybe this is asking too much but any chance 13ers would be added in the future?
If you mean 13er routes, many of the 13ers don't even have routes defined on this site but the map in the new app does have the 13er peak overlays which, together with the terrain and satellite views which show a lot of the roads/trails, that will give you a good start on any 13er.

Plus you can tap on any 13er peak on the map and, if you have internet connection, it will take you to the page for that peak.

(Not sure why I'm jumping in for all these questions directed at Bill - guess I have a little too much time on my hands this morning...)
Because you are a power user. I dont see Bill complaining :)

I'm noob enough to stick to 13ers with route descriptions. So I was hoping if the app supports 13er routes and GPX, then I can ditch my gps device. But yes, the app is pretty good as it is especially with tracking and 14er routes.
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

TheOtherIndian wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:07 pm
daway8 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:36 am
Because you are a power user. I dont see Bill complaining :)

I'm noob enough to stick to 13ers with route descriptions. So I was hoping if the app supports 13er routes and GPX, then I can ditch my gps device. But yes, the app is pretty good as it is especially with tracking and 14er routes.
Yes, if he would just add the ability to import GPX files instead of only being able to export them then I might ditch my GAIA app...
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

On your Android device, if you see the launch icon on the left of these two, you have the old version:
oldnewapp.gif
oldnewapp.gif (16.99 KiB) Viewed 10913 times
Remove it from your device and install the new "14ers.com" app, released by 14ers.com.

Nathan plans to update the old version to display a popup each time the old app is opened, telling the user to remove that app and get the new one.

=====================
Future enhancements...

Dark Mode:
Yes, I plan on adding a dark mode option in the next update

GPX Importing:
I do plan to add GPX importing but it might be a bit longer before I have it caching map tiles as well as GAIA does.

13er Routes:
I do want to add the 13er routes.

By the end of the year I need to get the iOS up-to-date with what I've done with Android, so I won't be adding major enhancements to Android until this winter.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

ah, ok I did have the old version. The new version looks great. Thanks Bill.
warg
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 281 12
Trip Reports (13)

Post by warg »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:11 pm
=====================
Future enhancements...

Dark Mode:
Yes, I plan on adding a dark mode option in the next update

GPX Importing:
I do plan to add GPX importing but it might be a bit longer before I have it caching map tiles as well as GAIA does.

13er Routes:
I do want to add the 13er routes.

By the end of the year I need to get the iOS up-to-date with what I've done with Android, so I won't be adding major enhancements to Android until this winter.
Love the app - so appreciate all the hard work! Just up voting the "GPX import" option as well as the "save GPX to device" option!!! Would be a great help!!
budmaster
14ers: 22 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by budmaster »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:33 am *** EDIT: The app hit the Google Play Store today, 5/20/2020 ***

In the Google Play Store:
1) Use this link or Search for "14ers.com" in the store. Look for the "14ers.com" app from Developer 14ERS.COM, not the old one from Wyeknot Software which is likely near or at the top of the search results
You do realize the version from Wyeknot Software is dated 20 August. The one in the link you recommend above is dated 21 June. I assume you still recommend the one in your link above dated 21 June? Can you confirm?
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

budmaster wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:04 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:33 am *** EDIT: The app hit the Google Play Store today, 5/20/2020 ***

In the Google Play Store:
1) Use this link or Search for "14ers.com" in the store. Look for the "14ers.com" app from Developer 14ERS.COM, not the old one from Wyeknot Software which is likely near or at the top of the search results
You do realize the version from Wyeknot Software is dated 20 August. The one in the link you recommend above is dated 21 June. I assume you still recommend the one in your link above dated 21 June? Can you confirm?
Probably because Bill has been wanting a message to pop up in the old app (which requires an update) to notify users to use the new app which now appears “old”.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

That's exactly right. I tried to make it clear that the old app, by Nathan/Wyeknot is going away and Nathan was going to add a popup in the app to notify users of the change in apps.

Please use the one released by 14ERS.COM.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs