New 14ers.com ANDROID App!

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: New 14ers.com ANDROID App!

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Jim Davies wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:42 pm It might be convenient to be able to save the GPX track directly to the device's storage, but I can live with Google Drive.
Yup, thanks
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Zoom limitations for terrain view?

Tried out the record track feature today - worked decent overall but after blundering off the trail I pulled out the app which I had turned on at the start to see if I could determine exactly how far off course I was but discovered that even at maximum zoom I couldn't zoom in enough to get much of an idea of how far off I had wondered (whereas my GAIA app allowed a lot more zoom and thus made it a lot easier to plot the best course correction).

I later discovered at home that if I switch from terrain to satellite that I could zoom in much further.

Any chance of allowing a little more zoom in terrain view?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

daway8 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:04 pm Zoom limitations for terrain view?

Tried out the record track feature today - worked decent overall but after blundering off the trail I pulled out the app which I had turned on at the start to see if I could determine exactly how far off course I was but discovered that even at maximum zoom I couldn't zoom in enough to get much of an idea of how far off I had wondered (whereas my GAIA app allowed a lot more zoom and thus made it a lot easier to plot the best course correction).

I later discovered at home that if I switch from terrain to satellite that I could zoom in much further.

Any chance of allowing a little more zoom in terrain view?
Yeah, the highest zoom level is available on the Satellite layer. For the Google Maps terrain layer, I'll increase the max zoom level from 15 to 21 to be consistent. It doesn't give you much detail since Google removes contour lines above zoom level 13 but, like in your situation, it's better to have the higher zoom.
Thanks!

The Terrain layer maxes out at zoom level 15 currently but I'll increase that to 21 (max)
The Satellite layer maxes out a zoom level 21
The USATopo layer maxes out at zoom level 15 because no tiles are provided above that level
The FSTopo layer maxes out at zoom level 16 because no tiles or contour lines are provided above that level
The RoadMap layer maxes out at zoom level 18 currently but I'll increase that to 21 (max)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

A new version (v3.0.2) went out today with:
- The new tracking algorithm, which should reduce GPS drift.
- The expanded zoom levels in various map base layers.
- A few crash fixes.
- And some other minor stuff.
MtSherman2015
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtSherman2015 »

Just downloaded today, liking the Maps page so far.
Grant M
"The Mountains are calling and I must go."
"The worst the weather, the better the story."--but don't be stupid about it
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

14ers.com ANDROID App

Update:

As of now, only a few thousand people are using the new Android app because most people don't know it exists. I'm still waiting for Nathan to update his app with a popup message telling people to get the new app and remove the old one.

If you're using the old Android app, go get the new one from the Google Play Store!
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Thanks for the heads up. I personally thought it was an update to the old one, so obviously I didn't read the very first post on this thread :lol: Downloaded the new one, looks really crisp. I especially like having the weather links embedded into the peak page, as well as the .gpx files. I haven't found a way to access the .gpx file page on the mobile site so my work-around thus far has been to Google "14ers.com .gpx" each time. Great additions.

Any chance of a dark mode in the works?
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
overthe59hill
14ers: 16 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (30)

Re: 14ers.com ANDROID App

Post by overthe59hill »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:18 am Update:

As of now, only a few thousand people are using the new Android app because most people don't know it exists. I'm still waiting for Nathan to update his app with a popup message telling people to get the new app and remove the old one.

If you're using the old Android app, go get the new one from the Google Play Store!
I am downloading the new version now. I didn't have the old one. Thank you for this app!
"Unfortunately, the mountains had a way of dealing with overconfidence."
Laura M. Clark, in Wild Wanderer: Soloing Colorado's 200 Highest Peaks
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Bill, how do I know if I have the updated version? I remember doing an update a while back.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

nyker wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:46 am Bill, how do I know if I have the updated version? I remember doing an update a while back.
The new one has a much different look and lots of neat new features like saving routes, putting 13er peaks and 14er routes overlaid onto the map built into the app, direct links to the GPX files, ability to record tracks, and other cool stuff like that.

If you're not sure if you have it then you probably don't.

Screenshot_20200814-102703.png
Screenshot_20200814-102703.png (269.1 KiB) Viewed 9118 times
SunNFun
14ers: 7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SunNFun »

I agree, the "map" feature is nice and works very well. Had to use it last week while I was there after I lost my GPS watch. The record tracking of the routes is a nice addition also. Everything about the app is very convenient.
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

Maybe this is asking too much but any chance 13ers would be added in the future?
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez