New 14ers.com ANDROID App!

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BratwurstGoblin
14ers: 21 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: New 14ers.com ANDROID App!

Post by BratwurstGoblin »

Jim Davies wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:57 am I just discovered that I can find it in the play store by searching for "colorado 14ers" and scrolling down through about 200 apps to the bottom of the list. I assume that'll change. :)
Found it in the Play store app using this method, thanks.

One thing I've always wished I could see in the app is photos from peak conditions reports, not just the text. Will there ever be a way to load or attach those without going to the .com?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

BratwurstGoblin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:12 am One thing I've always wished I could see in the app is photos from peak conditions reports, not just the text. Will there ever be a way to load or attach those without going to the .com?
Yes, it will be a while but it's on the list.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

Exceptional work Bill! Looking through your new app makes me want to move back to Colorado and hike the 14ers again.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Jim Davies wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:25 pm I used the tracker for a bike ride just now. I might start using it regularly, since it has a nice simple interface.
How accurate do you think the tracker was for you?
Or anyone else?
I'm sure it's because I'm app stupid, but I did a hike today in Red Rocks Open Space, coming in at 3hrs 24min, and tracked a whopping 47.98 miles and 10,813' of gain. Yup, I'm fast. :lol:
Meanwhile, I also used mapmyfitness app and that seemed a lot more accurate, clocking in at the same duration time, but miles came in at 9.58 and gain was 1,647' :oops: , far cry from the stellar stats I had using the other tracker. ;)

I've had the same type of high stats when using gaia too, so I must be doing something wrong with these apps.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

d_baker wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:21 pm
Jim Davies wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:25 pm I used the tracker for a bike ride just now. I might start using it regularly, since it has a nice simple interface.
How accurate do you think the tracker was for you?
Or anyone else?
I'm sure it's because I'm app stupid, but I did a hike today in Red Rocks Open Space, coming in at 3hrs 24min, and tracked a whopping 47.98 miles and 10,813' of gain. Yup, I'm fast. :lol:
Meanwhile, I also used mapmyfitness app and that seemed a lot more accurate, clocking in at the same duration time, but miles came in at 9.58 and gain was 1,647' :oops: , far cry from the stellar stats I had using the other tracker. ;)

I've had the same type of high stats when using gaia too, so I must be doing something wrong with these apps.
If you want me to look at the data, you can use the track GPX export functionality in "My Recordings" and email me the output file. I'd be happy to take a look. Maybe there's a bug in the app or maybe it just logged a crappy starting point or something.

Personally, I've tested the new app while driving around the state and a number of hikes and the data was similar to other GPS devices and mobile apps but that doesn't mean it didn't screw up while you were using it.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

THanks Bill. I'll take a look at it later and try to do that.

EDIT: I just emailed it to your admin account.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

d_baker wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:21 pm THanks Bill. I'll take a look at it later and try to do that.

EDIT: I just emailed it to your admin account.
Thanks! I imported it into my mapping software and could see that your phone was, at times, bouncing all over the place as you were tracking, causing the numbers to add up. Similar to how that sometimes happens with GPS units when the signal is poor, etc. Anyway, it's a great GPX file that I can use to run through an algorithm I intend to use to remove obvious GPS "drift." I wasn't done with it to include in the most recent version of the Android app but I'll add it once I have it dialed in.

Thanks again for the data
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Bill, would you like the gpx track from mapmyfitness of the same route? Will that help at all with a comparison?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Sure, that would be helpful. Thanks!

The trick with the algorithm is to drop lat/lon track points provided by the phone that obviously don’t fit with the current location and speed. For example, if the phone provides a point that is 2,000 feet away from the previous point and it’s only been 2 seconds and you’re going 2mph, it’s safe to say the gps/phone burped on that point.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Getting reliable distance and elevation information from a random GPS track is more complicated than it seems like it should be. I always run my tracks through the filters at GPS Visualizer - and in mountainous terrain the DEM elevation data is almost always more accurate than the GPS elevation data.

https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/tutorials ... lters.html

https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation
Roll No Rocks
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 pm Sure, that would be helpful. Thanks!

The trick with the algorithm is to drop lat/lon track points provided by the phone that obviously don’t fit with the current location and speed. For example, if the phone provides a point that is 2,000 feet away from the previous point and it’s only been 2 seconds and you’re going 2mph, it’s safe to say the gps/phone burped on that point.
Sent.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Alpine Guy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:36 pm Getting reliable distance and elevation information from a random GPS track is more complicated than it seems like it should be. I always run my tracks through the filters at GPS Visualizer - and in mountainous terrain the DEM elevation data is almost always more accurate than the GPS elevation data.

https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/tutorials ... lters.html

https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation
Yup. The receivers can pass garbage at any time so it’s up to the developer to refine the data as best as possible. I hope to add a reasonable algorithm to the 14ers app so post-processing is not necessary. Should be able to get there.

Interesting that you use GPSviz for post-processing! I used to use it all the time after I’d track a route with a gps unit. Very helpful.

For the new Android app, I’ve been testing 2 versions of an algorithm the past few weeks as I drive around and ski stuff. :)