New 14ers.com ANDROID App!

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

New 14ers.com ANDROID App!

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

*** EDIT: The app hit the Google Play Store today, 5/20/2020 ***

In the Google Play Store:
1) Use this link or Search for "14ers.com" in the store. Look for the "14ers.com" app from Developer 14ERS.COM, not the old one from Wyeknot Software which is likely near or at the top of the search results
2) If you previously used the old app, you can now uninstall it from your device

First, I want to thank Nathan Hale for creating the original Android app in 2011 and maintaining it for so many years. His work provided a way to bring full, up-to-date route descriptions into the backcountry, without wasting ink and paper. He also wrote the original (Apple) iOS version that I took over years back. Thanks Nathan!

Over the past two years, I've added a bunch of new functionality to the iOS app so the Android app has fallen a bit behind. I figured it was time to let Nathan off the hook. So, after a knee-surgery in December, I decided to write the Android app from scratch using my current Apple (iOS) version as a blueprint. Once I had it mirroring the iOS version and ready for release, COVID-19 came along. With more time at home, I decided to keep working and extend it to include actual map tracking functionality: Tracks and waypoints, with GPX/KML exporting capability. It's done and I'll be adding it to the Google Play Store in two weeks.

Since it will now be maintained and released from 14ers.com, this will be a new app in the Google Play Store. Nathan plans to release an upgrade to his app which will display a notification stating it will be phased out and users should download the new app, listed under 14ers.com.

Here are the highlights of this new "version":
  • A tab navigator has been added to the bottom of the screen, providing quick access to different sections of the app.
  • Organize your upcoming hikes with ROUTE BOOKMARKS. When you're viewing a route, tap the bookmark icon on the upper right to add it to "My Routes."
  • A new interactive map with 14ers, trailheads, 14er route lines and 13ers. Also, look for the new Location Services button which displays your current location as you hike and allows you to record tracks and waypoints as you hike.
  • Tracks and waypoints are maintained on the My Recordings screen, accessed from the map.
  • When viewing a route description, a "Highlight Route on Main Map" link loads the route line into the map. Combined with the map's "current location" function, you have an easy way to see your current position on the route.
  • App buttons have been switched to blue links.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: New 14ers.com Android App

Post by Eli Boardman »

Wow, that's great, thanks! Tracks and maps...nice.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Re: New 14ers.com Android App

Eli Boardman wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:38 am Wow, that's great, thanks! Tracks and maps...nice.
Now I have to add tracking to the iOS version. work work work :-D
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: New 14ers.com ANDROID App

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Is this on the play store right now? I only see the current one
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

cottonmountaineering wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am Is this on the play store right now? I only see the current one
I'm adding it in 2 weeks. Sorry, that was buried in the post.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:09 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am Is this on the play store right now? I only see the current one
I'm adding it in 2 weeks. Sorry, that was buried in the post.
cool, the new app and features look great, thanks bill!
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: New 14ers.com ANDROID App coming

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Sounds awesome! Thanks Bill! Really looking forward to this. Your hard work on this site is very much appreciated!!
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Looks cool, thanks Bill
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Great looking update! Having all the 13ers on a map will be super useful for that sub-section of the community!
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Awesome! Can't wait! =D>
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

thank you!
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Very impressive! Just out of nerdy curiosity, what's your development environment for Android?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump