Facebook vs 14ers.com (website or app)

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Facebook vs 14ers.com (website or app)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Is bierdstat snow free?
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

nyker wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm

My main question is how is using FB more efficient than this site? and why use FB for posting things vs. posting here?

I understand people want to post things to FB so your "friends" on Facebook can then see them.
Other than that, why use FB vs. this site?
I've wondered the same thing. And for such a popular place, I find the Facebook interface grotesque, I always wonder how anyone ever figures out how to navigate through the place.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Invictis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Invictis »

What's the link to the Facebook page?

Seems intriguing. Like going to Walmart strictly to watch the circus.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

pw wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm

My main question is how is using FB more efficient than this site? and why use FB for posting things vs. posting here?

I understand people want to post things to FB so your "friends" on Facebook can then see them.
I've wondered the same thing. And for such a popular place, I find the Facebook interface grotesque, I always wonder how anyone ever figures out how to navigate through the place.
haha yes! my thoughts exactly (for FB in general)
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

pw wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm

haha yes! my thoughts exactly (for FB in general) This is such a better site for so many reasons, but then maybe that's comparing a website to what's effectively a blog
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

strayster2 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 am Just dropping in to say that the Facebook group is a dumpster fire and the admins are awful.

Carry on.
Oh man. Gotta agree on the admins. They seem to be really mean people who just don't care about all the people on the page. They should all just resign and let the page manage itself.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

The pretentiousness here reeks... You aren't holier than thou because you don't FB, you aren't going to live longer you've just found other outlets for your social sides - or perhaps you lack social sides altogether and could use a FB style forum that is more immediate.

The admins on the FB side are mayors of a 30,000 person town, trying to keep it under control.. Remembering the day when the numbers were 1/4 or less that much and there were similar complaints about the size and its management. To say they're awful is just ignorant and you would absolutely do no better.

It's only going to be more true - Facebook will be the new internet portal - younger people will go there to find everything else they need... the dotcom is a tremendous resource but it's not utilized the same way as is FB and it will become less and less vital the more generations out there go to social platforms first for everything. It's why people on the FB side get pissed when we reference so much over here, and to do their research over here - many simply don't know how... but they know how to open up the search tool in facebook and search "Wilson Peak May Snow Trip Reports" - and get pissed when they can't anything there.

The dotcom has it's place to the people who remember when the biggest issue was 14ers vs 14erworld; they don't care for FB - it's not the internet they were "raised" on.

The dotcom AND FB have their places for us who remember when the dotcom was at it's best with personalities and reports, and the FB side was a private, pre-group page... I'd say that's most of us here. We've been open to, and evolved with, both.

The FB side has it's place for anyone who came in after about 2016 to the activity and first found it on FB. Going to the dotcom is probably painful for them as they are unfamiliar with the extra keystrokes.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
RJ_Greenhorn24
14ers: 12 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (12)

Post by RJ_Greenhorn24 »

strayster2 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 am Just dropping in to say that the Facebook group is a dumpster fire and the admins are awful.

Carry on.
As bad as the FB may be, I must give it credit for comedic entertainment and letting me know when gold get's dropped on the.com. Heck just recently it lead me to the trip report for PT 5770B posted by Sbenfield which was by far one of the most humorous reports I've ever read on the .com

See FB has some good to it :lol:
"I don't think you fully understand the consequences of your pickle thievery" - Classic summit conversation
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

The facebook site use to be fun back in day. Late nights of meaningless talk, and joking around. Then one day I was hit with the .com redirect virus. I couldn't find what I was looking for on the .com so I thought I would ask on facebook. All of a sudden everyone redirected me to the .com page. I was told not to seek info on facebook because that's what the .com site was for. Who here only reads one book when researching a topic. I got a fortune cookie one time that read " To gain knowledge of quandary one must seek someone with first hand experience". I thought it was cool. I posted it on facebook, and got some likes. Then it was removed because "it's not 14er related". Really? I was told the group was getting too big and needed tighter regulations. Oh well. Can't win 'em all. I haven't been involved with this group like I want to be, but who needs all that facebook noise?
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

wildlobo71 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:40 amIt's why people on the FB side get pissed when we reference so much over here, and to do their research over here - many simply don't know how... but they know how to open up the search tool in facebook and search "Wilson Peak May Snow Trip Reports" - and get pissed when they can't anything there.
If only that were true. Very few actually use FB's search tool (granted it's pretty terrible).
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

madmattd wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:25 pm
wildlobo71 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:40 amIt's why people on the FB side get pissed when we reference so much over here, and to do their research over here - many simply don't know how... but they know how to open up the search tool in facebook and search "Wilson Peak May Snow Trip Reports" - and get pissed when they can't anything there.
If only that were true. Very few actually use FB's search tool (granted it's pretty terrible).
But it is getting more true... I'm on several forums and searching thru FB is how these people do this... It's not there yet, but only for the lack of a real viable option.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

wildlobo71 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:40 am It's only going to be more true - Facebook will be the new internet portal - younger people will go there to find everything else they need... the dotcom is a tremendous resource but it's not utilized the same way as is FB and it will become less and less vital the more generations out there go to social platforms first for everything. It's why people on the FB side get pissed when we reference so much over here, and to do their research over here - many simply don't know how... but they know how to open up the search tool in facebook and search "Wilson Peak May Snow Trip Reports" - and get pissed when they can't anything there.

The dotcom has it's place to the people who remember when the biggest issue was 14ers vs 14erworld; they don't care for FB - it's not the internet they were "raised" on.
Bill, I agree with you on most of your post, but Facebook is already an "old" internet portal. I have some cousins that are Gen Z. Rest assured that the youngest millennials and down (say 1997, which, terrifying as it is, makes them college grads...and I'm not that old, I'm a damn millennial) use Facebook mostly for the benefit of their older relatives/siblings/etc, if they use it at all. I don't know what the most hip portals are these days, because I don't want to go further than instagram.

THAT SAID. I think that's one of the reasons this site will last (for as long as Bill is willing to keep it around). It's kind of like the Wikipedia of 13 and 14,000 foot peaks in this state, and that searchability will keep it valuable in ways that the immediate gratification interface of Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, whatever else absolutely cannot replace, regardless of popularity.

I also think the current batch of admins is doing a much friendlier job of trying to keep the page in order. I don't envy them the responsibility.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried