Facebook vs 14ers.com (website or app)

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Facebook vs 14ers.com (website or app)

Post by nyker »

I have a question for Facebook users, comparing FB to this site. My question might seem incredulous to dedicated FB users...be that as it may;

Consider the context in me asking this question in that I don't use Facebook at all- (I used to be a webmaster for a University, so I am not a technophobe)

This question could be a general FB question, but since it pertains to 14ers FB, then use that as an example-(maybe the answer is that's the way the world works now). :roll:

In using FB, nothing is categorized or organized, searchable and if you post something, it is soon lost in other posts ahead of you, so your post is way down the page and no longer current or readily visible for you or anyone else.

In FB, information is pretty much all over the place like post-it notes at an ADD convention, randomly, only sorted by time of post, uncategorized compared to here which is neatly organized into categories, you can search for posts, have your older post handy as well as replies, which don't get lost or force you or others to scroll forever or search for them and you can have readily available answers to your posts, trip reports, conditions reports whenever you want without losing them in a myriad of posts... if you step away for a a few hours or a week, all your stuff is still here and readily find-able, on FB its long gone. And because everything on FB is by default sorted as a running timeline if what you are seeking isn't on the top of the page, you need to search for it again and again. I am sure there is some "bookmark" function but I could see needing untold number of bookmarks to save the locations of things.

My main question is how is using FB more efficient than this site? and why use FB for posting things vs. posting here?

I understand people want to post things to FB so your "friends" on Facebook can then see them.
Other than that, why use FB vs. this site?
Last edited by nyker on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Facebook vs 14ers.com (website or app)

Post by bergsteigen »

It’s all about the likes.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

nyker wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm My main question is how is using FB more efficient than this site? and why use FB for posting things vs. posting here?
It's certainly not efficient when it comes to the route descriptions or peak/trip/trailhead reports because certain information we expect to have consolidated, organized, etc. The casual hiker who uses Facebook is more likely to want to add some stuff to his/her FB page rather than updating the hiking community about a specific peak. FB isn't designed to be an efficient repository of data, except for the data they use internally. It doesn't work well for stuff we're interested in just like it wouldn't work well as a replacement for Wikipedia, CNBC, ESPN, fishing.com :-D ...

Also:
- Not everyone uses this site.
- Facebook is already the center of many people's lives, so they prefer to use it instead of multiple sites.
- Likes and adding content to their FB feed.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
strayster2
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strayster2 »

Just dropping in to say that the Facebook group is a dumpster fire and the admins are awful.

Carry on.
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

The website is for gathering information on peaks.

This forum is for finding partners and to ask specific questions.

The facebook page exists purely as a medium for people to scream at each other about summit signs 4-5 times a year.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

As its grown in users the FB page has become geared more to beginners. The admins do a good job channeling all the people on it and its good for posting mountain pics. I don't think you would get much out of it though, unless you want to provide advice. It's great if you like summit signs and need daily Quandary or Sawatch conditions reports. :-D

Lets go climb a peak next time you're out!
Last edited by desertdog on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Seems like one of the best things the Facebook site does is refer people to this site for accurate info. I guess a lot of casual hikers and newbies must land on that group before they know this site exists. Kinda like a gateway drug in that respect.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

strayster2 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 am Just dropping in to say that the Facebook group is a dumpster fire and the admins are awful.

Carry on.
Lol. You can’t please everyone and... it’s Facebook.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

haha, thanks guys, that confirmed my suspicions! And Desertdog, yes! we should try and do something next time.
MOworkCOplay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MOworkCOplay »

Jerks are everywhere.
Last edited by MOworkCOplay on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

FB is an easy place to share photos and comments that people can see today or tomorrow. FB is also a lot of silliness. I think the 14ers FB moderators do a good job of refereeing the group. Pre-FB 14ers.com had a persistent troll problem. FB is a much tastier environment for trolls so I've felt FB helped in attracting them away. I've never been a big trip report person. It takes real time to put together a trip report that can become a reference for future hiker/climbers. But if I want to post a few pictures where I went this weekend, FB is an easy avenue. Watching FB groups for 14ers, CO trail, up-coming out of state destinations, etc. can be a good way to see expected conditions and ask questions. The ease of posting that makes FB so dynamic is also its weakness for searchable information.

Since 14ers.com has the standard fourteener route descriptions covered I've mainly posted conditions updates. Pre-FB I was one of the more active forum posters. FB has an easier interface for a quick post and most quick posts aren't relevant a year from now anyway. FB has pulled my daily commenting away from this forum. If you look at my half dozen or so 14er.com trip reports you'll see they are mostly about providing information I wasn't able to find elsewhere. When I travel outside CO I often hike high points (some obscure) where information is lacking. For that reason I have trip reports and pages on summitpost. If the forum here is less active now in the FB and other social media world, perhaps that's a good thing. It means more bandwidth for the real info.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
nomad
Trip Reports (1)

Post by nomad »

In my humble opinion, Facebook is a scourge on society. Delete facebook and this world would be a better place. I have survived just fine utilizing 14ers.com for many years in it's current form, a great site with great people.
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.