14ers.com Android App - photo problems

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Unable to see many pictures on Android app

Post by Cruiser »

I'm having a similar problem with the app. I saved the pics for offline use but wasn't able to view them consistently afterwards. I'm using an ATT Samsung Galaxy Alpha on stock 5.0.2. He's welcome to PM me if he needs any testers for revisions or needs any additional info about the problem.
Where ever you are... There you are.
summit21
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summit21 »

I am having the same issue as well. Samsung Galaxy S6 (ATT).
"The weather? The weather? Just show up at the trailhead and see what happens...you'll be surprised!"
Nathan Hale
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Nathan Hale »

Thanks for the reports everyone. I'm able to replicate the issue, and I'm relatively certain that I know the cause.

Unfortunately the cause is out of my control, so it's not as easy to fix as I'd hoped and I'll have to work around the change on Google's side. I'm going to try to get a fix out before this weekend, but I can't make any promises on that. At least for me if I touch the photo enough times it does eventually work, but sometimes "enough" is over 10, and that's not acceptable.

Thanks for your patience!
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com
Nathan Hale
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Nathan Hale »

I've found a fix that seems to work and improves the overall experience of viewing images anyway.

Unfortunately, it means that I'll have to leave behind the 186 users still using Android 2.2 Froyo, but since that version of Android is about as old as the app (which at this point is over 4 years old itself) I think that's an okay compromise.

Because this is a somewhat disruptive change I'll need to go do a fair bit of backwards compatibility testing on older devices. I'm hoping that I'll be able to release the app sometime on Wednesday, based on my current availability. I'll post here if anything changes.

Thanks!
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com
Floriado
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Floriado »

thanks for looking into this. it does work if you click the picture a few times till it shows up.
mr_Chris
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mr_Chris »

Thanks Nathan!
chubbles365
14ers: 20 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chubbles365 »

Thanks for looking into this so fast! Really love the app
"It's all success if it's what you need, do what you like and do it honestly."

Tom Delonge
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

Just to echo the other comments, thanks for looking into this!

The strange thing is that it works just fine on my android tablet (KitKat)--no missing/super minimized photos, but not on my phone (Lollipop).
LostIowan
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LostIowan »

Any update on this? I'm still experiencing this issue after upgrading to Lollipop on my LG G3.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I got a message from Nathan a couple of days ago that he's still working on it but planning on releasing an update soon.

Sorry for the hassle.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

If you're in a pinch and need a route in the backcountry, you can download a PDF file from each route description and then just open the PDF on your mobile device, when out of service. I know that's a pain, but it should be fairly easy. On the site, the PDF buttons are on the upper right of each route or on the page which lists the routes for each peak or peak group.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
trichardson1979
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trichardson1979 »

Photo issue is somewhat fixed. I have a G4 and just updated the app. The pictures show up now but they are very small. Any suggestions?