14ers.com Android App - photo problems

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mr_Chris
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

14ers.com Android App - photo problems

Post by mr_Chris »

I'm unable to see many of the pics from several route descriptions on my Android app anymore. When I view them, I just get a very short rectangular window with a close button on it, but no picture. I was just looking at Mt. Princeton East slopes, both online where I could see maybe the last half of the pics, and after downloading them and going to airplane mode where I was unable to see most of the ones I was able to see when my phone was online. Sometimes I can see one once, but then I can't when I try to reopen it. Sometimes reopening one I couldn't see will open it after I try it a few times. Seems very random, but I get nothing often enough as to make that functionality currently unusable by me.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this a phone settings or model issue? I didn't have this problem last year, but I've upgraded my phone since then. On a Droid Turbo now.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Unable to see many pictures on Android app

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

You could try clearing the cache and data in the App setting for the 14ers.com. This would force a re-download of text data and then photos would be downloaded fresh when you enter each route.

Also, have you tried "Saving Images for Offline" on a route description, within the app?

Let me know how it goes. I've noticed that sometimes I'll get a partial photo or topo map image when I have a crappy web connection that times out.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Fishscale
14ers: 55  3  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fishscale »

I'm having exactly the same issue on an lg g2, except that the photo only displays maybe 1 in 50 times. I've tried clearing the cache, clearing data, and downloading for offline and none of those seem to help. If I download the photos I can find them through the file manager and open them just fine, but they still won't display within the app. Haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but that seems like the next logical step. This just started happening in the last few weeks.
Fishscale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fishscale »

Attaching a screenshot of what I get when I click a photo link within the app
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot_2015-08-09-01-26-01.jpg (123.17 KiB) Viewed 11718 times
Floriado
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Floriado »

It's doing the same thing to me..weird. I tried to reinstall, didn't help...I wonder if only android is affected.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I'm getting the same screen as Fishscale, noticed it a couple days ago and figured it was just my phone. I'm using HTC One m7.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Interesting. I'll send Nathan a message...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Fishscale wrote:I'm having exactly the same issue on an lg g2, except that the photo only displays maybe 1 in 50 times. I've tried clearing the cache, clearing data, and downloading for offline and none of those seem to help. If I download the photos I can find them through the file manager and open them just fine, but they still won't display within the app. Haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but that seems like the next logical step. This just started happening in the last few weeks.
My guess is that something changed in the Android iOS and the app needs to be tweaked. I sent Nathan Hale a message and will see what he can find.

Thank you for posting the information so we can look into the problem!
Fishscale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fishscale »

No thank you Bill!
starsstuff
14ers: 36  5 
13ers: 26 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by starsstuff »

Thanks! Same here. Was gonna post about it tonight. Also LG G2. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Saved for offline. No go.
One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singin',
You're gonna spread your wings and take to the sky
(Summertime, lyrics by DuBose Heyward)
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Thanks for the help Bill. Was wondering if I was the only one that was facing this issue, seems not! BTW Using Nexus-5, Lollipop if it matters
mr_Chris
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mr_Chris »

Ok that answers my question. :)

For the record, I also tried completely reinstalling with no luck either. Sounds like the word is out. Thanks Bill for passing it on!