14ers App and iOS8

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bugsy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14ers App and iOS8

Post by bugsy »

I've deleted and reloaded the app a couple times directly from iTunes. The app launches but then none of the buttons work on either an iPhone 6 or 5S using iOS 8.0.2. On the iTunes Store, the 2 most recent reviews say it wasn't working for them using 8.0.2 and a 6.

With a new 6 and iOS 8.0, the app would launch and I could get to the Peak List, etc., but the upper-right "Menu" button wouldn't work.

I haven't had any other app problems or connectivity issues with the phone. If it's working for everyone else I'd just love to know what the hell I'm doing wrong.

PS It's snowing on Pikes Peak.
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

I have an iPhone 5 with 8.02. The 14er app seems to be working fine.
appleseeds
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by appleseeds »

Nothing in the app works on my iPhone 6.
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

Works on my 5S with 8.0.2.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

appleseeds wrote:Nothing in the app works on my iPhone 6.
I have the same problem. Does anyone have it working on an iPhone 6?
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Traveler wrote:
appleseeds wrote:Nothing in the app works on my iPhone 6.
I have the same problem. Does anyone have it working on an iPhone 6?
Yeah, iPhone 6 with iOS 8.0.2 here and it works perfectly...navigated to map, routes, photos, able to load conditions and all. Never reinstalled or anything
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

I have had some issues on iPhone 6 ios 8'0'2
SometimescThe buttons are completely unresponsive after starting the app. Killing and restarting app does not fix. It will randomly start working again. I have not been able to nail down steps to trigger the issue.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
Jmbiller
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 114 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jmbiller »

Haven't gotten it to work on iphone 6 with any of the IOS 8 updates. I can open the app but none of the buttons work.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I'm working on it.

Nathan Hale wrote the original app but it's my responsibility to release updates so I recently blew the dust off my Mac and began working on a new version. In the two years since the 14ers.com app was originally released, Apple has released several versions of iOS so I have to make a bunch of changes to get the app up-to-speed with iOS 8 (and 7). While I'm in there tinkering with the code, I'll make the app a bit more iPad-friendly.

I hope to submit the new version in the first week of November. It will require a minimum of iOS 7.1 on your device but I doubt that's a problem unless you're still using an old iPhone 3.

More to come...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
appleseeds
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by appleseeds »

Thanks, Bill!
NatalieLewis
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NatalieLewis »

I also am having trouble with this app. Not working on my iPhone with OS 8.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I'm working on it.

Nathan Hale wrote the original app but it's my responsibility to release updates so I recently blew the dust off my Mac and began working on a new version. In the two years since the 14ers.com app was originally released, Apple has released several versions of iOS so I have to make a bunch of changes to get the app up-to-speed with iOS 8 (and 7). While I'm in there tinkering with the code, I'll make the app a bit more iPad-friendly.

I hope to submit the new version in the first week of November. It will require a minimum of iOS 7.1 on your device but I doubt that's a problem unless you're still using an old iPhone 3.

More to come...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs