14ers.com Android App released!

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: 14ers.com Android App released!

Post by jdorje »

People these days have way too much desire for phone apps, and this is reflected in developers unnecessarily making useless ones.

The mobile interface to the forums is fine already, and works on all phones. An app for this same thing would basically just be a web browser. Though I suppose it's possible there is a phpBB app already available that could streamline the interface...slightly. Even that would pretty much be unnecessary work for Bill to develop and maintain though.

Even the current 14ers app is basically just a viewer and interface for downloading routes to save offline. This is fine but I question if it's worth Bill's time versus just having these in PDF or EPUB form.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
pills2619
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pills2619 »

Thanks for the update Bill,

Yeah its same information in a different form but wow just that little change has increased the functionality of this site. So yeah its worth Bills time to make the routes and photos saveable in a format that can easily be viewed on my phone and I thank him for that.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook
gweedo767
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gweedo767 »

Has any documentation about the API been released that drives this application and the iOS one?

Thanks.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

It has not. The api is only available to the two official apps.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs