14ers.com Android App released!

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14ers.com Android App released!

Post by tmathews »

Not sure whose attention to bring this to (Bill or Nathan) because I don't know who created the page, but I noticed that you have "user-contributed peak conditions" listed twice (dunno if the second one was supposed to be photos?): https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result
The 14ers.com mobile app provides access to peak information, user-contributed peak conditions, trailhead descriptions, user-contributed peak conditions, route descriptions, route maps, and route photos.
Nathan Hale
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Nathan Hale »

The second was supposed to say "user-contributed trailhead conditions"

I just updated it, so the change should be reflected in a few minutes.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Downloaded on my HTC EVO.

First impressions:

- Fast as hell
- Comprehensive
- User-friendly
- Great interface
- Very Useful

Hats-off!
I'm not sure why anyone would need to come to the site anymore if they own an android phone :twisted: j/k of course, but it literally feels like a mini-version of the site, and that's a good thing.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Over 500 installs the first day! Cool
hamerhokie
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hamerhokie »

This is awesome - thanks for making this.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Downloaded it last night! Thanks for the effort and reminder about offline access. While it seems easy enough to figure out, I'm sure it will be overlooked many a time!
altidude
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

Installed last night!

Thanks Bill! =D>
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I know Google only updates the stats once a day but we only have 22 ratings out there for the app!

If you like it, I think it would be helpful to Nathan if you rate it in the marketplace. While an additional comment is nice, I think the ratings are very helpful.

Thanks!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Lots of great ratings and comments in the marketplace - thanks for the feedback! I think it paid off to make it a robust app that communicates directly with 14ers.com but also provides access to route photos (thousands) and maps (hundreds). Sure, it made it more complex and more difficult to build but it was worth it. There was never a chance I was going to release an app that contained a copy of the 14ers.com route descriptions, without real-time interaction with 14ers.com. We would have had to drastically limit the number of route photos and maps (or not include them at all - gack!), making the app less useful.

In a couple of days we'll exceed 1,000 installations! Not bad for a week.

And I know, I know... "when is the Apple app coming out?" I've heard that from many people over the past week. I'm going to try and find a developer as we get closer to summer and get working on it as soon as possible.
More to come...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
WillV
14ers: 52  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WillV »

Installed. Thank you Bill.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I know I've already said this but, please rate the app and/or write a review in the Android Marketplace if you've started to use it. Thank you so much!
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Well, we almost hit 1,000 app installs in the first week. So close!
Bill and Nathan -- congrats on reaching 1,000 installs!