Video: Flooded out Backpacking in Death Hollow, Utah 2019

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Video: Flooded out Backpacking in Death Hollow, Utah 2019

Post by boudreaux »

Holy Crap, I think I've lost my perspective and need to take the blinders off. What have I become, an @#&hole of something?
good intentions or not, I need to open my eyes and see the bigger picture. Man, in hindsight I do say some of the stupidest s**t. I better start practicing my handstands, I'll post some summit pics later. :lol: :lol:
Ragin Cajun
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Video: Flooded out Backpacking Death Hollow, Utah 2019

Post by CORed »

mikjik86 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:31 pm
Conor wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:10 pm Slimey groveling for youtube likes aside....

You learned why this hike is typically done in august. Even in august, i swam many of the pools and it was far from a wading hike down the wash. It sprinkled on us our last night and there was significant increase in flow.
This hike is not "typically" done in August at all. In fact, August has nearly 3x the precipitation when compared to May. Also temperatures in August are roughly 15-20 degrees warmer.

If you have been paying attention to Utah at all, you would know this year has had over 200% the precipitation of normal levels. We had a trip booked and decided to go for it. We were neever in danger of our lives and always had a way out nearby if it was needed.

My Youtube channel is not monetized, nor do I receive any other income from any other sources for my channel.
I love how sharing a piece of art that I created is "Slimey Groveling" IYO.

Just another reason to not visit the .com as often as I used to. People like you.
Correct. August in southern Utah is the height of monsoon season, and the risk of flash flooding is high. It's not a good time to be hiking through narrow canyons. May in that area is normally warm and dry. Depending on how much snow fell the previous winter, and how warm the weather has been, you may or may not encounter snowmelt runoff in May. Often it will be over by May. I did, on one occasion, encounter heavy thunderstorms and high water in the Escalante area in May, but on several other occasions I found low stream flows and warm to hot dry weather. The Death Hollow route is at higher altitude, so there is a bit more chance of encountering cold or unmelted snow there in May, but May is likely to be a much better month than August for hiking there. This has been a very unusual winter, and especially spring, for most of the western US.
mikjik86
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (9)

Post by mikjik86 »

I was hesitant to post the link to the full video of our Death Hollow trip on this page due to controversy with the original topic, but what the heck.

Those interested checking it out, I hope you like it!

https://youtu.be/I5klcYXLmTU
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

mikjik86 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:55 pm I was hesitant to post the link to the full video of our Death Hollow trip on this page due to controversy with the original topic, but what the heck.

I hadn't been here in a while, reading my first thread back and I thought I was on reddit. Negativity aside nice video dude!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
mikjik86
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (9)

Post by mikjik86 »

JA_son27 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:42 pm
mikjik86 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:55 pm I was hesitant to post the link to the full video of our Death Hollow trip on this page due to controversy with the original topic, but what the heck.

I hadn't been here in a while, reading my first thread back and I thought I was on reddit. Negativity aside nice video dude!
Thanks JA_son27. This trip was a blast. We did get hunkered down due to rain and had a great time regardless. Thanks for checking out the video!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I have been gone a while and just read this.

Death Hollow is a beautiful place and I have been many times. I don't go anymore though since I'm really sensitive to poison ivy. The canyon has been getting more and more choked with it in recent years.

The conversation about the time of year to go is really weird. I have been there several times in May , June, July, and September.

For those who are interested in going:

May is often too early for upper Death Hollow, without wetsuits and cold weather protection at least, but the lower end is often OK. In heavy snow years, the road to the upper trailhead (the group in the video came from the Boulder Mail Trail rather than the upper trailhead) is often still blocked by snow until late May. August is peak flash flood season and you must have a good weather forecast before going. It is probably the riskiest time to go. It can still be enjoyable if the weather forecast is good)

June is probably the best month (late June for high water years), but take long pants or your legs will be eaten alive by the deer and horse flies one you reach the Escalante River. September is beautiful, but it can still be flash flood season. It isn't as risky as August, but caution and a good weather forecast is still warranted.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.