Need a new point and shoot camera!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Need a new point and shoot camera!

Post by trektheworld »

So my Panasonic Lumix DMC LX7 broke after 2+ years of great use. You can see it here:
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-LX ... B008MB719C

I really liked the HD video, super slow motion video, and just overall quality of this camera. I've been a big fan of the Panasonic Lumix series over the years but I can be easily swayed towards Canon, Nikon, you name it.

Can anyone suggest a good $200 and under camera (does not need to be the newest/latest model with all of the bells & whistles - I do not need WIFI uploading) that would motivate me to start looking for a Christmas present for myself?
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Need a new point and shoot camera!

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Fellow Lumix user here as well. I used to have an LX7, great camera. Sold it for $200 recently and upgraded to the LX10. It will be hard for you to find a pocket camera that's better than the LX7 at $200 or under. Maybe buy another LX7 if you enjoyed it? Maybe also look at their ZS/TZ superzooms?
-OwenZ
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trektheworld »

Thanks for the advice. I found that the zoom mechanism failed or was faulty pretty early on in its life. I'm not sure the LX10 will fix that. I was pretty harsh with it outside but took care of it. After awhile sand or dust must've just gotten stuck in there and caused the motor to fail.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

I got an email yesterday from Canon that all of their PowerShot (including all point-and-shoot models) are on sale! I’ve tested Olympus, Panasonic and Nikon P+S cameras but consistently used the Canon PowerShot cameras, several models, over 10 years or so and absolutely loved them. They’d fit the bill you’re looking for.

Definitely worth taking a look at them: Canon Point-and-Shoot PowerShot Cameras
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

I'm going to shop for a Canon, thanks Caroline
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

giarcd wrote:I'm going to shop for a Canon, thanks Caroline
The more I looked at them I saw that there are some really good deals. Now if I could only find a deal on the new GoPro... Let me know which one you get!
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

I bought the Canon Powers Shot ELPH 360 HS ----now I have to figure out the WI-FI connection , I'm old ,slow and electronically challenged . Thanks for heads up Caroine
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Canon makes some nice one's.