Fall Foliage 2016

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Fall Foliage 2016

Post by PaliKona »

Since the leaves are starting to turn in places and peaks are getting dustings, I thought I'd start this.

I saw a pic years ago from along the section of Chasm Lake Trail just past the junction with the Longs Peak trail, south of Lady Washington. It had the view of the Diamond, Loft and gorgeous colorful tundra in the foreground. I'd love to get the pic for myself. Has anyone been up there recently? Has the tundra started to change to red?
Last edited by PaliKona on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fall Foilage 2016

Post by Shaolin »

Looking forward to getting some good shots this year.
BHallDDS
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BHallDDS »

Was in CB last weekend, some leaves starting to change (albeit not many) up Cement Creek. The underbrush is glowing red and yellow now too. Anyone have any updates this week?
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Very nice splashes of color in the aspens along Kenosha Pass on Monday. Still a long ways from the peak of the season but it's certainly coming.
Where ever you are... There you are.
colouradical
14ers: 22 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colouradical »

I did the hike over labor day weekend, tundra is starting to turn red, you can see the beginning of yellows on the aspens. I'd give it another week and half- beware of weather. We got 250 feet from the top but had to turn around after the Narrows due to a blizzard engulfing the top of Longs.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

was in fremont pass by leadville this week, and a few aspens are just starting to have a few leaves turn yellow.

the willows and grass was already turning colors though
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Posted by KOAA on expected fall color peaks:

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Went up to Chasm Lake today - the tundra is changing but wasn't as colorful as I'd hoped, at least the part just past Chasm Junction. Absolutely beautiful though.
Will plan to head back up in a week or so - we'll see what this storm next week does.

Hiked to Crystal Lake near Breck last weekend. At the bottom of the valley near Francies were wildflowers. Then 800' up higher, lovely colored tundra by the lake. Nice variation.
Brent D
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fall Foliage 2016

Post by Brent D »

Thanks for starting this years thread PaliKona!
emgordon
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emgordon »

Tundra near Mount Audubon's summit had some reds and oranges on Saturday, but the willows further down were all green
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Lots of tundra changing on Quail Mountain, vivid reds were stunning. I saw some aspen turning on the east slopes of Browns Peak/Huron Peak up in the Lake Fork of Clear Creek too! Fall is coming!
Ragin Cajun
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vermont Mike »

Along the 3 Elk Creek Trail en route to Mt. Columbia on Wednesday:

The entire forest floor was a gorgeous yellow as well.