Wolverine near Bierstadt

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
megan1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wolverine near Bierstadt

Post by megan1 »

Those are wonderful photos, you are so lucky to have seen (much less photographed) a wolverine in the wild in Colorado. Thanks for sharing them!

Here are some links for folks who are interested in learning more about these amazing animals:

1. a site where you can read about/buy the book "The Wolverine Way": http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=51801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. a link to the great new PBS documentary on wolverines: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes ... sode/6078/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. a website with some interesting facts about wolverines in general and wolverines in Colorado: http://rockymountainwild.org/blog/wolve ... he-numbers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are a few highlights from the above website that are especially interesting to those of us who spend time climbing and hiking in the high country:

120 miles – Distance a radio-collared male wolverine at Glacier National Park traveled in one week moving around within his close to 200 square mile territory.

500 miles – Distance a young radio-marked male wolverine traveled from Togwotee Pass, Wyoming (near Grand Teton National Park) south into Colorado in May of 2009. (it sounds like this is the wolverine you photographed)

1500 vertical feet, 20 minutes – A radio-collared male wolverine at Glacier National Park climbed 1500 vertical feet in 20 minutes over Iceberg Notch at Glacier National Park…in WINTER.

5,000 vertical feet, 90 minutes – A radio-collared male wolverine (M1) climbed 5,000 vertical feet in 90 minutes to summit Mt. Cleveland, the tallest peak in Glacier National Park…in WINTER.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Bob Berwyn just posted a story in the Summit County Voice on the wolverine recovery plan. See it here:http://summitcountyvoice.com/2012/05/11 ... d-for-now/
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

Well this explains the lack of Soviets up there. Great shots.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
darryle
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by darryle »

its_not_a_tuba wrote:Well this explains the lack of Soviets up there. Great shots.
What a great line for a Friday morning chuckle!
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

He needs a better name than M56...any ideas?
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JE242 »

Some of the FS and other agencys bio's often refer to him as "Lonely Larry" :( Hopefully he turns intothe Larry that lived upstairs from Jack, Janet and Chrissy.....If you know what I mean ;)
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

Very cool! Thanks for posting your pics.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
funkymonkey1111
Trip Reports (0)

Post by funkymonkey1111 »

Vincopotamus wrote:I'd recommend The Wolverine Way by Douglas Chadwick to anyone interested in learning more about wolverines. It's based around a study done in Glacier National Park, and is just flat out cool. http://www.amazon.com/The-Wolverine-Way ... 0979065976

Patagonia did a little video on it as well

i believe this is the same thing--if not, it's a dang good presentation on wolverines from PBS' "Nature." It's called "Chasing the Phantom" but also occurs in Glacier Park

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes ... sode/6078/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Lemmiwinks wrote:He needs a better name than M56...any ideas?
Steve?
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

Lemmiwinks wrote:He needs a better name than M56...any ideas?

how about 'weapon X"?
brushogger
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brushogger »

Amazing wasn't it! We saw m56 on Rollins passes in Aug 2010. We didn't get any still pic but got some video. We filled out the report form and CDW sent up a plane and picked up the signal from his collar and they confirmed our sighting. Congrats on a once in a lifetime sighting!
dstannard
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dstannard »

Hey All,

I think I saw a wolverine on Mt Evans near Bierstadt very recently, the guanella pass route. After the willows, right near the bottom of the gully. I was coming down and saw what looked like a medium sized dog with a bushy tail. It was way bigger than a marmot, and looked more like a bushy dog. Dark brown with some lighter colors. I had my dog with me, and had to grab him before I could get a picture. The animal climbed a boulder and slipped behind a large boulder, and was gone. This was Wednesday, June 17th, about 12:30pm. I only saw 2 or 3 other hikers on this route the whole day.

Anyone else seen anything up their recently? May have been a large marmot but I don’t think so.