Waterfall Pics

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Waterfall Pics

Post by Scott P »

Some of my favorite falls:

Trafalgar Falls, Dominica. Cool water spills into the hot springs below. Paradise.

Middleham Falls:

Cascada El Bujeco, Honduras:

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

yorksman wrote:I was up early this morning at Hanging Lake for the first time in almost 10 years. I got a early start so I could move around to get shots of the falls without people in the way. When setting up for a landscape shot I noticed some plastic bottles down in my view. I went down to the lake walked out on the log but by the time I was there the bottles had moved out of reach so I got in the water which was only 2-3 inches deep here due to the gravel bottom. I took my radio triggers so I could get some shots of myself on purpose by the lake standing on the logs etc but originally I had no intention getting wet, water was a little chilly, but hey what the heck at least the lake is a little cleaner now.

Seriously awesome. The pic first and foremost but the getting the bottles out of the water second. What time did you get up there to avoid the crowd?
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yorksman »

Seriously awesome. The pic first and foremost but the getting the bottles out of the water second. What time did you get up there to avoid the crowd?[/quote]

I started at 5:40am was at the lake by 6:20am. Left the lake about 7:30am did not see anybody until I was at least a 1/3 of the way back down the trail. It always blows people minds that I am on my way back down when people are just starting to go up a trail. This was my latest start of my 2 previous hikes, which both started at 2:15am.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Barry Raven wrote:
Dan_Suitor wrote:All are beautiful waterfall pictures. Here is mine at Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. One of the 7 natural wonders of the world. Did some rafting and bungee there as well :D
I think there is a video on Youtube of some lady bungee jumping at Victoria Falls and the bungee broke. She fell in the river below and survived. If it wasn't a video it was a news story. I think they sensationalized it by saying she fell into a croc infested river with her feet tied together.
Yea, I saw that video too. It was the same bridge I did my bungee off of. It was a miracle she did not get badly hurt. There are crocs in the water. I know this because we rafted down the river (Zambezi class V rapids) the day before and saw them. Literally thousands of people have done the bungee without incident. I’d do the bungee and rafting again in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it.
Century Bound, eventually.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Dan_Suitor wrote:
Barry Raven wrote:
Dan_Suitor wrote:All are beautiful waterfall pictures. Here is mine at Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. One of the 7 natural wonders of the world. Did some rafting and bungee there as well :D
I think there is a video on Youtube of some lady bungee jumping at Victoria Falls and the bungee broke. She fell in the river below and survived. If it wasn't a video it was a news story. I think they sensationalized it by saying she fell into a croc infested river with her feet tied together.
Yea, I saw that video too. It was the same bridge I did my bungee off of. It was a miracle she did not get badly hurt. There are crocs in the water. I know this because we rafted down the river (Zambezi class V rapids) the day before and saw them. Literally thousands of people have done the bungee without incident. I’d do the bungee and rafting again in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it.

Isn't there some secret guided only place where the falls turn to a kind of pool just before going over? People hike in there and literally lay over the side but the pool is such that it won't sweep you over... or am I thinking of another wonder of the world waterfall... :)
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Barry Raven wrote:
Isn't there some secret guided only place where the falls turn to a kind of pool just before going over? People hike in there and literally lay over the side but the pool is such that it won't sweep you over... or am I thinking of another wonder of the world waterfall... :)
Yea, it’s there. It’s called The Devil’s Pool. I did not get a chance to try it out, but it looks cool.
Century Bound, eventually.
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

Dan_Suitor wrote:
Barry Raven wrote:
Yea, it’s there. It’s called The Devil’s Pool. I did not get a chance to try it out, but it looks cool.

It's Devil's Pool on the Zimbabwe side, on the Zambia side they have one called Angel's Armchair. You have to walk several hundred feet through the rushing Zambezi river to access the pool, don't slip!

http://coloradovagabonds.wordpress.com/ ... -thunders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

These photos are fantastic... and this thread has been driving me nuts!

I have a couple of favors to ask:

I'm wrapping up my next book, which is a guide to the best waterfalls in the state. It took me a whole year to finish all the hiking, so some were done through the winter. I have good tracks, waypoints, etc., but some of the photos are awful - basically just big mounds of ice and snow, where a beautiful waterfall would appear any other time of year. I need pics of a few falls, and if anyone cares to help me out I would really appreciate it, as I don't have time to redo any of the hikes.

Caveats: I have no budget for this, your pics might be altered to fit the look and format of the book, and you will have to sign a release for my publisher to use them however they see fit.

Benefits: you still retain rights to the photos, and if we use them you'll get credit and they'll appear in a book that gets widely distributed across the state.

The falls I need are: East Inlet Falls (Grand Lake), Booth Creek Falls (Vail), Bridal Veil Falls in RMNP (Estes Park), Bushnell Lakes Trail Waterfalls (Coaldale), Cherry Creek Falls (Castle Rock), Continental Falls (Breckenridge), MacGregor Falls (Estes Park), North Crestone Trail Waterfalls (Crestone), and West Creek Falls (Estes Park).

The pictures have to be good, but they don't have to be great - it's a guide book, not a photography book. Let me know if you're interested - thanks!

The second favor:

Edited... because that sure didn't work!
Last edited by susanjoypaul on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

unnamed falls below Green Lake
unnamed falls below Green Lake
304653_4466511858001_500597221_n.jpg (205.72 KiB) Viewed 7271 times
This is the best photo I could get of this falls below Green Lake in the South San Juan Wilderness. Had to hold onto a tree and reach out with the camera. The only place which might have given a better camera angle had broken away...hope there was no-one standing there when it went!
rocky
south fork, colorado
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

1,246' Takkakaw Falls in Yoho N.P.:

Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Buffalo River Trail (Arkansas)
Buffalo River Trail (Arkansas)
DSCN0907 compressed.jpg (200.22 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
Between Boxley Bridge and Steel Creek on the Buffalo River trail (Arkansas).
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

susanjoypaul wrote: The falls I need are: East Inlet Falls (Grand Lake), Bridal Veil Falls in RMNP (Estes Park), MacGregor Falls (Estes Park), and West Creek Falls (Estes Park).
I wish my computer hadn't crashed a few years back, I had nice pictures of all of these.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!