Lake Como Road - Large Rock at 10.1k

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Lake Como Road - Large Rock at 10.1k

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Candace66 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:47 pm This is an interesting discussion. In September 2014, I drove my modified* Xterra (RIP) up to a parking/camping area at about 37.5624,-105.5492. This is above 10,200', to the right as you're going up the road.

My notes mention that the stretch of road before that was challenging, steep and covered with large loose rocks. This is probably the "hill" mentioned in the OP.

So I'm not sure if this particular large rock at 10.1K is something new (i.e., rolled down from above, or was exposed by erosion or wheel spin). :-k
The picture taken from the parking spot at the switchback. July 19, 2017 and shows the rock/s you’re referring to. Seen in the top / upper shadows.
The rock/s are still there.
Attachments
July 19, 2017
July 19, 2017
9228CD53-295F-4F8D-AD76-FFDC00615CF9.jpeg (415.98 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
I should be on a mountain
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:54 pm
durkan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:25 am Pretty sure this obstacle is no longer one. Went up that road once early Oct 2021 and 3 lifted wranglers and dirt bikes got up no issue.
My experience with my 2017 stock 4runner SR5 only got me to 9800, not a bad walk from there at all.
As of a couple of moths ago, Yes, it's still there.
Ssgustafson wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:53 am ....I want to get over it and save the extra mile next summer when I'll be back for my finisher (LB). Wondering if anyone......got over it this summer (and how you did it!). Thanks!
If you are having a hard time getting past that rock you might have a hard time climbing LB, that's considered the 2nd hardest climb amongst the CO 14'ers.
So if LB is rated #2, then what is #1? Capital?
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

bking14ers wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:01 am
durkan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:25 am Pretty sure this obstacle is no longer one. Went up that road once early Oct 2021 and 3 lifted wranglers and dirt bikes got up no issue.
My experience with my 2017 stock 4runner SR5 only got me to 9800, not a bad walk from there at all.
Ssgustafson wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:53 am ....I want to get over it and save the extra mile next summer when I'll be back for my finisher (LB). Wondering if anyone......got over it this summer (and how you did it!). Thanks!
If you are having a hard time getting past that rock you might have a hard time climbing LB, that's considered the 2nd hardest climb amongst the CO 14'ers.
Yeah, I mean a few people disagree but the majority agrees that Capitol is the hardest. There was actually a thread on that topic a few months ago iirc and some people were claiming that they felt more unsafe climbing LB than Capitol.
Be the best you that you can be.
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Yes, Capitol.

On this site Bill used to have a user rating. He took it down and has a different one now. Before he took it down I imported it into an Excel sheet. I have it if you'd like a copy of it.

Here are the top 10 and their routes from that list.
  1. Capitol Peak Northeast Ridge from Capitol Lake
  2. Little Bear Peak West Ridge and Southwest Face
  3. Pyramid Peak Northeast Ridge
  4. North Maroon Peak Northeast Ridge
  5. Mt. Wilson North Slopes
  6. Crestone Needle South Face
  7. Sunlight Peak South Face
  8. Maroon Peak South Ridge
  9. Crestone Peak South Face
  10. Mt. Eolus Northeast Ridge
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:13 am On this site Bill used to have a user rating. He took it down and has a different one now. Before he took it down I imported it into an Excel sheet. I have it if you'd like a copy of it.

It was based on user submitting rankings and then avergaing the score and the lowest average score was considered hardest. The reason that is relevant is because Capitol's score was greater than 2, 2.17 if I recall correctly, with Little Bear's being 2.53 maybe? That means plenty of people ranked Capitol the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc hardest 14er. Not sure if there was anti trolling check to make sure someone didn't rank Sherman 1st and Capitol 58th. Ratings are definitely subjective.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:02 am
CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:13 am On this site Bill used to have a user rating. He took it down and has a different one now. Before he took it down I imported it into an Excel sheet. I have it if you'd like a copy of it.

It was based on user submitting rankings and then avergaing the score and the lowest average score was considered hardest. The reason that is relevant is because Capitol's score was greater than 2, 2.17 if I recall correctly, with Little Bear's being 2.53 maybe? That means plenty of people ranked Capitol the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc hardest 14er. Not sure if there was anti trolling check to make sure someone didn't rank Sherman 1st and Capitol 58th. Ratings are definitely subjective.
Another interesting thing is that many of the peaks on the list didn't go by the standard routes, typically if their standard route was conjoined with another peak (cue. Bross at #57 from the East Slopes route which was considered easier than Handies but the Decalibron loop wasn't). Or strangely enough the Decalibron itself was #52 but was designated solely for Mt. Cameron. Now the lists that websites use to rank the 14ers usually just order them by Class then by RT length. Personally, even though the 14ers list wasn't perfectly accurate and each person's climb could be slightly different depending on outside factors, it probably was still the best list for ranking the 14ers.
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Salient wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:12 am
Ptglhs wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:02 am

......even though the 14ers list wasn't perfectly accurate and each person's climb could be slightly different depending on outside factors, it probably was still the best list for ranking the 14ers.
Agreed, It's not a list of precision but one I used for general consideration as I progressed through the 58. Especially, when progressing up the Classes.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:13 am

Yes, Capitol.

On this site Bill used to have a user rating. He took it down and has a different one now. Before he took it down I imported it into an Excel sheet. I have it if you'd like a copy of it.

I'd be interested in if anyone thinks any are inaccurate too high or low on the list. Here's a link

https://web.archive.org/web/20170610091 ... ksrall.php
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Above_Treeline wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:55 pm
Yes, Capitol.

I'd be interested in if anyone thinks any are inaccurate too high or low on the list. Here's a link

Here’s the list that includes the route that was ranked as well as elevation gain and RT length
Attachments
16A3EA8B-04C1-4531-9044-37B1E5C3919A.png
16A3EA8B-04C1-4531-9044-37B1E5C3919A.png (90.4 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
849FDBAD-7945-4F8F-AD12-922AC38021DB.png
849FDBAD-7945-4F8F-AD12-922AC38021DB.png (84.53 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Yes, Capitol.

Yes that’s the list. And yes people debated the list. For example, you can find threads where some say Snowmass should have been ranked much harder.

Another question I have for Bill is when this and similar topics like this pop up Bill seems to be silent. Perhaps he feels like he’d rather not disclose his secret sauce or feel he doesn’t need to explain the decisions he makes. IDK.
In this case I would think he might chime in and say, I archived that list and here’s the link for anyone that wants it.

BTW I’d be curious as to how you found it as well.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:08 pm

Yes, Capitol.

Yes that’s the list. And yes people debated the list. For example, you can find threads where some say Snowmass should have been ranked much harder.

Another question I have for Bill is when this and similar topics like this pop up Bill seems to be silent. Perhaps he feels like he’d rather not disclose his secret sauce or feel he doesn’t need to explain the decisions he makes. IDK.
In this case I would think he might chime in and say, I archived that list and here’s the link for anyone that wants it.

BTW I’d be curious as to how you found it as well.
It's on the wayback machine, someone posted it in on here and I think I bookmarked the link. Not sure if Bill archived it but I think he discussed it at some point. He felt potential accuracy issues.

But I kinda doubt it and it would be great if he put it back. Of course if anyone thinks that a certain peak is mis ranked I'd be interested in that info. Of course there are many opinions..... And one person's difficult is another's easy. Good to know about snowmass
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Salient wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:07 pm Image

Yes, Capitol.

Here’s the list that includes the route that was ranked as well as elevation gain and RT length
Great info! Thanks for posting