Looking for Dual Sport Moto recommendations

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RockyMountainMustang
14ers: 32 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Looking for Dual Sport Moto recommendations

Post by RockyMountainMustang »

Looking for recommendations on a good Dual Sport Moto to get me to more THs in Colorado. I'm 5'3", 29" inseam, and 125lbs., so it needs to be light enough for me to pick it up when I drop it, under $6k, reliable, able to handle altitude changes well, and have a low seat. The Yamaha XT225 is what I'm looking at right now, but would love to get some extra advice. I have my motorcycle license and miss riding. Most my riding experience is herding livestock on a Suzuki DR200, and this is a good size bike for me, but need something bigger and faster for driving highways. Can't afford an SUV or the gas to put in it, have a 2004 Ford Taurus with 202,000 miles and she can't make it down a washboard road without parts falling off. My time living in Colorado is dwindling away. I've hiked half the 14ers, but really want see the rest of them before I move, and need a way to get there. Thanks for your help!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Looking for Dual Sport Moto recommendations

Post by timstich »

I have a 30 inch inseam and rode a KLR-650 for several years before someone stole it from my apartment parking lot. You can even get lowering links for that bike as I recall, but the stock height was fine for me. The KLR-650 is more than adequate on highways, reliable, and pretty comfortable. Oddly enough, the smaller displacement enduros tend to be taller. Sizing is definitely going to be the biggest problem for you. In any case, 650 is as small as I would go for highway riding.