4WD in Colorado's Front Range

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 4WD in Colorado's Front Range

Post by jaymz »

The first ten years I lived here I drove a 2WD (rear wheels) Dakota. I got really good at managing fishtailing, freaked out a lot of passengers! Had one harrowing experience getting up to the Eishenhower Tunnel in a snow storm that made me realize my limits with it. I eventually got a 4WD and realized what I'd been missing, at least on snowy/icy roads.
You don't need a 4WD on the front range, but it's sure nice to have.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I drove a 2WD car forever and STILL do! Snow tires all you really need. And I live fairly high in the foothills so get to endure those extended winter months. And all the newbies who just moved up there only to get popped by that surprise "snow" early in the season. I've never gotten stuck either.

I've taken my 2WD cars on skiing trips, numerous "4WD" trails for hiking/camping, thru blizzard conditions, icy mountain passes, and everything in between. There are places it cannot go, that's a fact. But, for the most part, you do not need a 4WD in most places of Colorado and CERTAINLY not if you live in the front range.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Must have missed the question in the original post. 4 wheel drive is definitely not needed but it’s nice to have along with winter tires. That being said, last time I drove in the snow, my car was totaled by a hit and run driver going approximately 45 mph while I was waiting at a stop light. Doesn’t matter what you have when there are idiots in other cars. Better just to stay home on those days.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:46 am ...when there are idiots in other cars. Better just to stay home on those days.
So, stay home everyday then?
Make wilderness less accessible.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Dave B wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:55 am
AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:46 am ...when there are idiots in other cars. Better just to stay home on those days.
So, stay home everyday then?
Basically lol. If you don’t want to get into a car accident then not being in a car is a fairly effective way to do that. Obviously that’s not realistic, but some days seem like they have a higher chance of … exposure if you will. Sorta similar to exposure tolerance while hiking.
overthe59hill
14ers: 16 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (30)

Post by overthe59hill »

jaymz wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:34 am The first ten years I lived here I drove a 2WD (rear wheels) Dakota. I got really good at managing fishtailing, freaked out a lot of passengers! Had one harrowing experience getting up to the Eishenhower Tunnel in a snow storm that made me realize my limits with it. I eventually got a 4WD and realized what I'd been missing, at least on snowy/icy roads.
You don't need a 4WD on the front range, but it's sure nice to have.
I used to have a 2wd Volvo station wagon with a jump seat in the back. Whee! I am a talented Colorado native driver (boasting a little?) and outmaneuvered a lot of cars on the icy highways and byways. Fishtailing and spinning isn't fun. I was lucky. I got my first AWD SUV five years ago and will NEVER get another 2wd vehicle, unless I use it only for errands near home.
"Unfortunately, the mountains had a way of dealing with overconfidence."
Laura M. Clark, in Wild Wanderer: Soloing Colorado's 200 Highest Peaks
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

2WD with good snow tires (not "all season" garbage) will easily out-handle a 4WD/AWD with mediocre all-season tires all day long in snowy conditions. I've spent years doing it both here and in the NorthEast. People also forget that 4WD/AWD doesn't stop any better in snow than 2WD (and braking is WAY more important! - tires help with that)... Though neither snows nor AWD/4WD are really needed if you never head to the mountains and are willing to stay home on the couple nasty days in town.

2WD with all-seasons < AWD/4WD with all-seasons << 2WD with snow tires < AWD/4WD with snow tires.
lilgreenfish
14ers: 23 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lilgreenfish »

Growing up, my family had 4WD SUVs…easier to carry multiple kids and sports equipment and camping gear and for road trips. I personally always had 2WD sedans. I managed. Put studded snow tires on a Hyundai sedan. Doesn’t matter how awesome tires are, if your car has no weight, it sucks on snow/ice! The studs helped a little but my old tank of a 1990 Volvo did way better on snow and all-season tires. I now have my family’s 2002 Suburban with 4WD. I will never get a car without 4WD again. Sure, my Buick Centuries (I had two of them) and the Volvo and the Hyundai went on adventures but having clearance and 4WD is awesome. I can get myself into a bit more trouble (flat tire on a 4WD single track road…luckily I could change it!), but it’s awesome.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I grew up in a very cold, snowy place and never had an AWD/4WD vehicle until I moved to Colorado and started spending a lot of time in the mountains. I also drove a lot for work at the time. Of course it’s not an absolute necessity to own an AWD/4WD vehicle if you live on the front range in Colorado. This is kinda like someone asking if a helmet is needed on said class 3 route/peak. Any peak can be done without a helmet so it’s never actually necessary, is it? Lots of people probably go without one. At the same time, a helmet sure does help to mitigate the risk of injury. AWD/4WD does the same. But then so do snow tires and chains. It’s personal preference.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?