4WD Road on Antero

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
colincool
14ers: 30 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

4WD Road on Antero

Post by colincool »

Hey all, I'm looking for some insight into the mining road up Antero. I'm driving an SUV that has AWD, but clearance that is closer to what a Subaru offers. I've been able to drive it along a lot of sketchy roads, but I was hoping to learn more about the quality of this road before heading all the way out there this upcoming weekend. Recent trip/conditions reports don't exactly touch on how easy it is to get along this road, and I'm really hoping that its possible to get higher than the 2WD trailhead.

I'm adding a screenshot here with red stars at the beginning of the 2WD trailhead and where I think the road stops at treeline. Has anyone been along this road this season at all and can comment on how difficult it would be to drive it? Even if I can go half way, it would be better than having to hoof it along!

edit: Seems the [img] button isn't quite working -- here is a direct link to the imgur screenshot of the topo map: https://imgur.com/a/yqBoBjc
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 4WD Road on Antero

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

That road is ugly and will pummel your SUV. Save your car from some damage and walk or hitch a ride.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
colincool
14ers: 30 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colincool »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:08 am That road is ugly and will pummel your SUV. Save your car from some damage and walk or hitch a ride.
Thanks for the quick response. I guess we're looking at a long haul this weekend...
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

The beginning of that road is the worst part with little room if any for parking too, at least to the meadow junction, I’ve never been up higher than that so there’s really no benefit to even trying to drive a little bit of it if you can’t make it all the way.
Anima
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 201 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Anima »

I drive a stock 2008 4runner with 4wd. The road up to the stream crossing really pushed the limits of my clearance. At one point I had to use center differential lock when I got stuck in a water rut. I was in 4low the entire time and it took an hour to drive. I also had a spotter (couldn't have done it without him).

I probably shouldn't have taken my car up there and I don't recommend it to anyone without a real 4wd vehicle.
What is real will prosper.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

i have an old pic on my profile of the beginning of the road, doubt its gotten any better over the years since they dont maintain it
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

The one time I've been up the Antero road I hiked it faster than my friend drove it. That tells you everything you need to know. It's a 4WD road, it's easy on your body and hard on your vehicle.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:08 am That road is ugly and will pummel your SUV. Save your car from some damage and walk or hitch a ride.
+1
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

colincool wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:01 am Hey all, I'm looking for some insight into the mining road up Antero. Has anyone been along this road this season at all and can comment on how difficult it would be to drive it?
Used a lifted Jeep Wrangler to drive the road in mid August this year. Stayed in 4 low for almost the entire drive. There is no way I would take a stock 4WD vehicle on that road, much less an AWD vehicle.

If you are going to hike in, there is a better route than walking the road. Consider the Brown's Creek trailhead
1.2 trailhead map.jpg
1.2 trailhead map.jpg (111.11 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I haven't been up there in years, but I didn't think it was all that bad. A buddy and me drove his Toyota Tacoma up to the river crossing no problem. Some narrow parts and clearance moves, but nothing sketchy at all. I don't recall even using 4wd!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

mtree wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:37 am I haven't been up there in years, but I didn't think it was all that bad. A buddy and me drove his Toyota Tacoma up to the river crossing no problem. Some narrow parts and clearance moves, but nothing sketchy at all. I don't recall even using 4wd!
Avalanche damage and washouts have changed the road for the worse.
Marcos
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Marcos »

We made it to treeline last October in a stock 4-door Wrangler with 31" tires aired down to 20 psi. Might have put it in 4WD once or twice, but not much. It was actually quite fun. We did see a some other drivers struggling, though. I just hate road walking...

I've also done it from Little Brown's Creek. It's a more enjoyable hike, although you still have to do some road walking near the top. Lots of nice campsites and water just below treeline if you want to backpack in.