Irving Peak via Vallecito T/H

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bdwyer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Irving Peak via Vallecito T/H

Post by bdwyer »

Anyone know if there is a climber's trail from Vallecito Trail? I heard there is one at about 6.5-7 miles in.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Irving Peak via Vallecito T/H

Post by HikerGuy »

I downloaded this GPX file a couple of years ago. I think it came off a trip report here on 14ers.com, but I can't find the report now. I believe the author said there was NO trail, but the route was doable. It looks awfully steep to me though.

EDIT: Found it! It was not a trip report, but rather a route added by Boggy B.
https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=2 ... type=13ers

irving-lake.gpx
(37.09 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Here's a brief description from my copy of Robert Rosebrough's "The San Juan Mountains" book:
Irving Peak.jpg
Irving Peak.jpg (107.82 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
Last edited by Mtnman200 on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

I recently did the Irving Lake approach with a friend a couple of weeks back. I will not recommend this approach. We pretty much were on the route description's GPX track, there is considerable downfall on this route now, there are game trails here and there but nothing that really help. It makes for extremely slow going, the waterfall crossing itself was a cakewalk. It took us around 12+ hrs to get to Irving lake from the TH and for reference we were both above average pace hikers.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I used Rosebrough's description to climb Irving in '94. It was steep; I logged it at 4200' vertical in a 6 mile round trip from a camp near the Vallecito/Johnson Ck junction. I think the whole thing was only class 2.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Bombay2Boulder wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:34 pm I recently did the Irving Lake approach with a friend a couple of weeks back. I will not recommend this approach. We pretty much were on the route description's GPX track, there is considerable downfall on this route now, there are game trails here and there but nothing that really help.
I debated how to tackle Irving, N. Irving, and 13030 for a long time. Certainly these peaks are most leisurely accessed via Rock Lake and combine well with any number of others in the vicinity, but for an overnight I ruled out the N. Vallecito approaches for their many more miles of driving and hiking, and besides the prospect of walking over Hunchback Pass a billionth time.

Like the OP I considered camping along Vallecito, but that means doing vastly more work on day two. I have read that Irving Creek itself is a nightmarish bushwhack. Rosebrough's terse secondhand description of the W slopes is colossally understated and involves the same kind of terrain as my route, but with potentially no water source at its end.

Carrying a bivy and powder for dinner I made the lake in under six hours (not running), so I didn't think my route was too bad, but I'm sorry to have sold you a lemon. I do think for an overnight it's one of the least bad options. For more than one night, I'd give the W slopes a go, or maybe check out Hidden Lake.