Nellie Creek Road?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LoneStar
14ers: 9 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Nellie Creek Road?

Post by LoneStar »

The last update here on Nellie Creek Road is more than 30 days old. I'm looking for any more recent info on the road condition, what kinds of vehicles are making it up to the trailhead, etc. Many thanks.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Nellie Creek Road?

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

The road updates from July are pretty accurate, which is likely why there are no new updates. It's a rough, narrow road but the creek crossing is low right now.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Jeff A
14ers: 29  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff A »

Hi - I was up there last weekend (8/21). Except for the two stream crossings and a few mud puddles it was dry. A high clearance 4WD is needed, and I really liked having 4 low on the way back down. For reference sake, and in case you have not been up the road yet, my Nissan Frontier had to made a few 3 point turns on a couple of the tight corners.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Thanks for the info, Jeff!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Jeff A
14ers: 29  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff A »

:thumbup:
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:08 am Thanks for the info, Jeff!
Spoke537
14ers: 48  4 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Spoke537 »

We took a stock Silverado and Chevy Colorado up there on Saturday 21Aug. They both hit bottom a couple times but nothing major if you just go slow. There were a couple switchbacks after each creek crossing (going up) that were tight in a full size truck but I was able to swing as wide as possible and get around in one shot. The trip up seemed alot easier than the way down. Everything at the top was trucks or jeeps. Take it slow and good luck!
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage." - Anais Nin
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Ditto on the high clearance required comment.

I somehow managed to get a stock Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk to the trailhead (last year), NOT recommended. Was 100% sure I had ruined my car at the 2nd creek crossing. Somehow my car survived and on the drive down, my friend tossed several large rocks into the creek to help my clearance. Thankfully, it worked. Was fully expecting to have an extremely expensive car rescue down the road.

A 4Runner (in front of me) with oversized tires had no issue.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
LoneStar
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LoneStar »

Thanks, everyone.
PaulVee
14ers: 31 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by PaulVee »

We were there last Tuesday August 17th. Made it all the way in our Nissan Xterra. There was a Honda Pilot that barely made it past the nasty creek crossing. That crossing and a switchback a little further up were the worst spots.