San Luis Peak south ridge water & camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GuiGirard
14ers: 28 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

San Luis Peak south ridge water & camping

Post by GuiGirard »

Dear happy hikers,

Low lander in Illinois here; I'm planning a trip towards the San Juans around the end of the month/Labor Day, hoping to make it to San Luis Peak as one of my next 14er.
It's a long hike from either trailhead and I'm considering backpacking in from W Willow Ck trailhead. Is it a reasonable plan? Realizing that much of the route is a long traverse along the CDT at high altitude, I have doubts about water access (essentially, I'd rather not carry in water for an overnight stay, water is heavy!). I definitely have the endurance for a day hike if this is a wiser option, in which case I'd probably camp along the road towards Equity Mine or beyond, if I can drive my Outback up there (looks like I have a reasonable shot by reading trip reports). So, convoluted question: are there good dispersed sites out there?

Cheers, thanks in advance.

GG
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Re: San Luis Peak south ridge water & camping

Post by huffy13 »

It is a reasonable plan, but honestly, the drive to the TH is what you'll want to do. I've been all the way to the TH in an old Tacoma and it did fine, even without 4WD. There are several places at the TH that you can pitch a tent. I'd drive it just because you can take as much water as you'll need. I did the hike in mid-September, so it wasn't too hot and my 2 1/2 liter hydration bladder held enough for the hike, we also took one of those 5 gallon Igloo coolers for water at camp. There is a small stream that was flowing at the TH.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I have done San Luis both from the stewart Creek and the West Willow Creek Trailhead. If you're doing it as a Day hike I would do it from Stewart Creek. If you want to go West Willow you certainly can. I have been up there in October and in late June early July. There was plenty of water up there both times. You should be able to find a place with both a stream and the ability to camp a little over a hundred yards away.
rayers1001
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rayers1001 »

I did it from West Willow Creek yesterday. Agree with the previous poster that my high clearance vehicle got to the TH just fine and I never had to put it into 4WD. I did the hike as a day hike and my 3L bladder was plenty for me. There are a couple of creek crossings where you could filter water, but I don't think you need to plan around it. Just my $.02. Good luck!
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

When I went to hike san luis last year, I went to the stewart creek trailhead.

There was not much parking so I went a short distance farther to the Eddiesville trailhead.
This worked out well.
There is ample parking, and a large area to pitch tents right by the parking. They also have a restroom at this trailhead which is always handy. I camped, got up early the next day, and had a wonderful hike of the mountain. There was water sources just left of the trail starting about 1.5 miles from the trailhead.