Seasonality of Marmy / Porky Vehicle Wire Chewing at THs

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaulVee
14ers: 31 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Seasonality of Marmy / Porky Vehicle Wire Chewing at THs

Post by PaulVee »

Does anyone have any insight as to the seasonality of the marmot / porky trailhead vehicle wire-chewing problem? I have read the multiple threads out there about these critters attacking vehicles at trailheads. But I'm traveling from far away and purchased a 100 ft snow fence and this thing is HUGE and will take up lots of precious cargo space. I will be hitting the mountains in mid-late August. Have been out the last 5 years at this same time of year and have never had a problem (and have not used any sort of barrier or other deterents).

Does anyone know if for some reason the marmys / porkys go do something else later in the year to where it isn't the same problem as earlier in the year? Or have I just been really lucky and should bring my huge snow fence for mid-late August?

Thanks for any knowledge about the seasonality of this problem.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Seasonality of Marmy / Porky Vehicle Wire Chewing at THs

Post by HikerGuy »

My experience has been that porcupines are a problem in spring/early summer and marmots are a problem all of the time they are not hibernating. Which trailhead are you leaving your vehicle at? Some are consistently troublesome. What vehicle are you driving? Some have tasty wiring, others do not.
PaulVee
Trip Reports (4)

Post by PaulVee »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:43 am My experience has been that porcupines are a problem in spring/early summer and marmots are a problem all of the time they are not hibernating. Which trailhead are you leaving your vehicle at? Some are consistently troublesome. What vehicle are you driving? Some have tasty wiring, others do not.
Hi HikerGuy ... thanks for the response. I have a 2015 Xterra and have planned Columbia (N Cottonwood Creek), Wilson Peak (ROA - Silver Pick Rd), Uncompahgre (Nellie Creek), Crestone Needle (S Colony Lakes), Lindsey (Huerfano/Lily Lake) and possibly Bells / Pyramid or other Sawatch (Antero or Shav / Tab).

Thanks again!!
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:43 am My experience has been that porcupines are a problem in spring/early summer and marmots are a problem all of the time they are not hibernating. Which trailhead are you leaving your vehicle at? Some are consistently troublesome. What vehicle are you driving? Some have tasty wiring, others do not.
Which vehicles have more tasty wiring?
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

PaulVee wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:55 am
Hi HikerGuy ... thanks for the response. I have a 2015 Xterra and have planned Columbia (N Cottonwood Creek), Wilson Peak (ROA - Silver Pick Rd), Uncompahgre (Nellie Creek), Crestone Needle (S Colony Lakes), Lindsey (Huerfano/Lily Lake) and possibly Bells / Pyramid or other Sawatch (Antero or Shav / Tab).

Thanks again!!
i think youll be fine, its later in the season and those are all popular trailheads

iirc hondas have tasty wiring
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

Anecdotally, Xterras are not tasty. That's what I drive, and I recently had my engine bay invaded by marmots while I was out for a couple days. They left feces scattered over every horizonal surface (and I do mean every horizontal surface), but nothing was chewed on.
PaulVee
Trip Reports (4)

Post by PaulVee »

Aphelion wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:04 am Anecdotally, Xterras are not tasty. That's what I drive, and I recently had my engine bay invaded by marmots while I was out for a couple days. They left feces scattered over every horizonal surface (and I do mean every horizontal surface), but nothing was chewed on.
cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:03 am
PaulVee wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:55 am

Thanks again!!
i think youll be fine, its later in the season and those are all popular trailheads

iirc hondas have tasty wiring
Thanks for the information y'all!! Really appreciate it!!
HikerGuy
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

A lot of folks on the forum have Nissan Xterras, maybe they will chime in with their experiences. Not sure if your model/year has soy-based wiring or not. Toyotas and Hondas are the prime targets.

I would not worry about critters at N Cottonwood Creek, ROA/Silver Pick, S Colony Lakes, Huerfano/Lily Lake, Antero/Shav/Tab, I've never had a problem at these trailheads as they are well below treeline.

Issues at the Maroon Lake are usually with porcupines earlier in the season. Should be okay later in season.

Nellie Creek might be the location of most concern, but historically have not read many reported problems here, so probably okay as well.

Known problem areas are American Basin, Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch, any area above treeline or remote areas with little traffic.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:14 am A lot of folks on the forum have Nissan Xterras, maybe they will chime in with their experiences. Not sure if your model/year has soy-based wiring or not. Toyotas and Hondas are the prime targets.

I would not worry about critters at N Cottonwood Creek, ROA/Silver Pick, S Colony Lakes, Huerfano/Lily Lake, Antero/Shav/Tab, I've never had a problem at these trailheads as they are well below treeline.

Issues at the Maroon Lake are usually with porcupines earlier in the season. Should be okay later in season.

Nellie Creek might be the location of most concern, but historically have not read many reported problems here, so probably okay as well.

Known problem areas are American Basin, Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch, any area above treeline or remote areas with little traffic.
The Hunchback Pass TH near Beartown is another known problem area.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
HikerGuy
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Mtnman200 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:30 am
HikerGuy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:14 am Known problem areas are American Basin, Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch, any area above treeline or remote areas with little traffic.
The Hunchback Pass TH near Beartown is another known problem area.
Top of Wager Gulch Road above the Carson townsite is supposed to be bad also, a friend with a 4Runner had some marmots chew up wiring.
E_A_Marcus_949
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:14 am Known problem areas are American Basin, Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch, any area above treeline or remote areas with little traffic.
I'm heading back there soon and will wrap my car again like I did last year - snow fencing with rocks. I have a Forester (yes, one of those Suby people), and I've heard they have tasty wires. Not worth it to me.

I'd only heard San Juans (specifically those above) have issues with critters - I haven't heard any anecdotes about animal issues in Sawatch or elsewhere, but I could be mistaken. Unc, RoA, etc. I may take precautions depending on time of year and current-season stories.
PaulVee
Trip Reports (4)

Post by PaulVee »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:41 am
I'm heading back there soon and will wrap my car again like I did last year - snow fencing with rocks. I have a Forester (yes, one of those Suby people), and I've heard they have tasty wires. Not worth it to me.

I'd only heard San Juans (specifically those above) have issues with critters - I haven't heard any anecdotes about animal issues in Sawatch or elsewhere, but I could be mistaken. Unc, RoA, etc. I may take precautions depending on time of year and current-season stories.
Thanks again everyone for all of the great info here!! As a note, I did park for day trips last year in mid-August at both American Basin and Silver Creek / Crizzly Gulch, and did not have any critters chowing on my Xterra wires. Perhaps they just aren't that tasty!