Kit Carson Peak/Challenger Point

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rarriet
Trip Reports (0)

Kit Carson Peak/Challenger Point

Post by rarriet »

Hello friends,
My two sons and I are traveling to the area this week to climb Kit Carson/Challenger Point. We will camp at Willow Lake. Will this be our only water supply on the way up? Also, does anyone know if it's okay to leave our gear at the campsite? Or should we plan on carrying full packs up? Thank you in advance to this great community. I also appreciate any other tips for this route you may have. Unsolicited advice is always appreciated!!
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Kit Carson Peak/Challenger Point

Post by randalmartin »

About 30 min into your hike you will cross a creek that feeds the waterfall you see at the far end of the lake from camp. That is your last water. Yes it's okay to leave gear at the campsite. Just make sure your food is secured away from your campsite.

On this route the key navigational advice is when you depart from the avenue and make your way up the final part of Kit Carson, make clear mental notes about what the exit point of that gully looks like. Where people have gotten in trouble is on the return they miss the right turn back onto the avenue. Re-ascend Challenger Point on return, don't try to avoid.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

We did them both on Friday, there is a ton of water up there. Enjoy the hike...
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

climbingcue wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:16 am We did them both on Friday, there is a ton of water up there. Enjoy the hike...
Hey, me too! Probably passed you on the trail somewhere
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
rarriet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rarriet »

@randalmartin and @climbingcue, thank you both very much!! This is very helpful. We are super pumped for this trip. My oldest son climbed Mt. of the Holy Cross about a month ago and he is looking forward to climbing two more 14ers before going to college. My younger son has dreamed of climbing real mountains and is excited to get the chance.
climbingcue
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:17 am
climbingcue wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:16 am We did them both on Friday, there is a ton of water up there. Enjoy the hike...
We did the North Ridge, then Columbia, Kitty Kat and then down Challenger. It would have been fun to chat if we crossed paths.
rarriet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rarriet »

One more question: Is there any issue with parking at the TH? Or getting there? I'm in a Silverado but it's not 4WD.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I got up there with my 2012 Camry with bad suspension last year.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
rarriet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rarriet »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:23 pm I got up there with my 2012 Camry with bad suspension last year.
Thank you! That's great info
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

climbingcue wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:26 am
We did the North Ridge, then Columbia, Kitty Kat and then down Challenger. It would have been fun to chat if we crossed paths.
Were you climbing with another guy? I talked to two guys who did the north ridge and came down Challenger.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

rarriet wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:27 pm
Wentzl wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:23 pm I got up there with my 2012 Camry with bad suspension last year.
Thank you! That's great info
A while back they improved the road by putting a bunch of gravel on it. This reduced the problem of it turning into a slick, rutted mess when it was wet. The road is SO much better than it was a few years ago.
climbingcue
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:43 pm
climbingcue wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:26 am
Were you climbing with another guy? I talked to two guys who did the north ridge and came down Challenger.
It was me with two ladies. One was in a bright pink long sleeve shirt.