What happened to Goose Pasture Tarn??

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

What happened to Goose Pasture Tarn??

Post by hellmanm »

Not entirely mountain-related… but I just got down from a 13er hike by Breckenridge and noticed that almost all the water was gone from the large pond/small lake by Spruce Creek TH. I always thought the tarn was really pretty, and I have a lot of memories associated with it. I’ve attached a pic that I took as I was driving by. Is the drought really that bad? Or is there something else going on?
4F51E7C1-0A2D-444F-A5E9-01E94B125F5C.jpeg
4F51E7C1-0A2D-444F-A5E9-01E94B125F5C.jpeg (24.18 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: What happened to Goose Pasture Tarn??

Post by dwoodward13 »

Last time I was up there I noticed it was drained as well. Earlier in the summer there was a bunch of new drainage pipes and construction stuff on the bank of the lake. They may have been replacing things and needed to drain it to complete the work, at least that was my initial thought when I saw it was drained.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

I am pretty sure that will be the parking lot for the new Quandary Peak Shuttle. Need to verify though.
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/local/ ... struction/
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

They are doing some re-work on the piping out of the tarn so they had to drain it. Goose tarn is the water source for the town of Breckenridge.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs