Maroon Bells Parking Reservation Up for Grabs

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ericsheffey
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (6)

Maroon Bells Parking Reservation Up for Grabs

Post by Ericsheffey »

I have a midnight to midnight parking reservation for the Bells on July 27th that I no longer need. When I booked it, I noted that I have an America the Beautiful Parks Pass as well, just for reference.

I've already bagged the Bells and Pyramid this month and no longer need this one. Can I just forward the reservation email to anyone else so they can use it? No one ever checked my reservation or ID anyway, I just left a copy of it on my dash with my Parks Pass hanging from my mirror. I assume whomever takes it will need a Parks Pass visible as well.

Let me know if you want it, and if you think this will work. If it's easier for me to cancel and then you can grab it online when it comes available, I can do that too. I also have 3 other midnight to midnight reservations for the Bells on other days in Aug and Sept that I will likely not need as well, just waiting to hear back from family in regards to those.
"Pick an objective, go until something stops you, retreat, learn, and try again. That's the formula for success." - Will Gadd
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Maroon Bells Parking Reservation Up for Grabs

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

So hoarding passes is why they sold out so quick? Why not just cancel them so people searching online can grab them?
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Ericsheffey
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Ericsheffey »

Unfortunately that's the natural result of restricting an area like this. Gotta have contingency plans for weather for peaks like these. Also my non-hiking family wants to go up and see the Bells a few times, and I was the only one motivated enough to get reservations. Anyhow, I'm just trying to see if any 14er folk want it first before I just cancel it, since I'd rather it go to someone trying to bag the peaks rather than tourists.
"Pick an objective, go until something stops you, retreat, learn, and try again. That's the formula for success." - Will Gadd
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:27 am So hoarding passes is why they sold out so quick? Why not just cancel them so people searching online can grab them?
Based on a handful of conversations, it seems most people don't like to do these peaks when the weather is bad but since you seem to have to grab reservations far in advance it looks like a lot of people grab multiple spots throughout the season in the hopes that one of the days they grabbed will have good weather.

I wouldn't be at all surprised, based on informal chats, if 30% of all Bells reservations are just people multi-booking in hopes of having a good weather day... Glad I already did those peaks...
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

daway8 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:39 am
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:27 am So hoarding passes is why they sold out so quick? Why not just cancel them so people searching online can grab them?
Based on a handful of conversations, it seems most people don't like to do these peaks when the weather is bad but since you seem to have to grab reservations far in advance it looks like a lot of people grab multiple spots throughout the season in the hopes that one of the days they grabbed will have good weather.

I wouldn't be at all surprised, based on informal chats, if 30% of all Bells reservations are just people multi-booking in hopes of having a good weather day... Glad I already did those peaks...
Same thing happens with federal campgrounds. I notice 10%-20% of campgrounds are never occupied. The most commonly used of the federal reservation systems recreation.gov does not refund within four days of a reservation, so some people dont bother for last minute plan changes. I think the four day window has to do with lack of remote campground internet/cellphone access and informing the campground managers in a timely manner. I notice the state park reservation system allows same reservation changes.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

We confirmed with the Chamber that the permits are transferable and if originally obtained based on having the ATB pass, someone in the transferee vehicle must have a valid AtB or Golden age pass.
RichH
14ers: 43 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RichH »

If you go in before the ranger is at the gate (around 7AM I think) then nobody checks your parking pass or park pass. We did the four pass loop last weekend and just left the park pass and parking reservation on our dashboard with .

Unfortunately all of these reservation-based systems are designed for casual hikers and not climbers or people doing long days. If you are going to be on a ridge all day you want to pick a day with good weather. I agree with the previous poster that a third of the bookings might be people intending to do one trip.
Rich
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

daway8 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:39 am

This is exactly what happened to me with my plans I am doing the bells traverse and pyramid this late summer/fall so I booked 4 weekends. I have 4 since I need weather contingency days for both days. Like this weekend would be a good use of these weather contingency permits but it’s what I have to do unless I roll the dice and wait for next years.
Ericsheffey
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Ericsheffey »

In reference to my original post, parking reservations have been figured out!

And yeah, this is one of my arguments against permitting systems, especially ones that restrict access to high consequence hikes or climbs. I've got a permit for Mt. Whitney this year, but my partner and I are trying to do a single day climb via the East Face, and we have no contingency days because of the permit system. I understand something has to be done to control the masses, but I feel like some of these areas, Maroon Bells included, should do something different for those intending on bagging the peaks.