mud slides on cinnamon pass?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
torimyers24
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

mud slides on cinnamon pass?

Post by torimyers24 »

Coming from Wisconsin this weekend and planning to climb Redcloud and Sunshine next week. have heard there were some mudslides that have happened recently on cinnamon pass. Just curious if anyone knows if the CR30 to silver creek trail head from Lake City is clear.
akonks
Trip Reports (0)

Re: mud slides on cinnamon pass?

Post by akonks »

I’m in lake city now. Tried to do those peaks this morning and it was closed at the cataract gulch junction. Called the number on the closure sign and they said due to a rock/mudslide the road was closed. Heavy machinery seems to be on standby to fix it, but also expecting more storms
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

akonks wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:50 am I’m in lake city now. Tried to do those peaks this morning and it was closed at the cataract gulch junction. Called the number on the closure sign and they said due to a rock/mudslide the road was closed. Heavy machinery seems to be on standby to fix it, but also expecting more storms
This happens nearly every summer when the Monsoon fires up. Especially off Sunshine's SE flanks. I'd give them 3-5 days and the road crews will get things cleared up. Keep an eye on Hinsdale County FB page. They are usually pretty good about keep folks informed about road closures/issues.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
torimyers24
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by torimyers24 »

Thank you to all who replied the Info is very helpful and will be checking the links and face book page.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

torimyers24 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:20 pm Thank you to all who replied the Info is very helpful and will be checking the links and face book page.
https://www.facebook.com/LakeCityCO or the Hinsdale County FB page are the links to the latest info on CR 30/Cinnamon Pass Rd.
As of 2:30 p.m., it's open, but it's now raining again, so the same situation may recur.
The monsoon flow is alive and well.
Great for wildfire prevention, but tough on big hiking plans.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

This is likely to be a problem in many areas this weekend, Glenwood Canyon is closed and probably will be for a couple of days. There was a nasty flood in Poudre Canyon near Rustic on Tuesday. Both in 2020 burn scars.

Yesterday I-70 was closed for over an hour in Avon because of mudslides and the road in front of my office looked like it was the chocolate river in Willy Wonka. We don't even have a burn scar here. Story with photos and video of Avon here: https://www.vaildaily.com/news/eagle-v ... reek-road/
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Rsadler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rsadler »

Anyone have a current update on Cinnamon Pass road and accessibility due to washouts? My group is traveling Silverton to Redcloud in 2 weeks. We have a 4x4 Tahoe rental and based on past posts we should be fine vehicle wise. Also, we're looking at camping near Grizzly Gulch TH if anyone has any suggestions on a good location. Thanks
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Rsadler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:30 pm Anyone have a current update on Cinnamon Pass road and accessibility due to washouts? My group is traveling Silverton to Redcloud in 2 weeks. We have a 4x4 Tahoe rental and based on past posts we should be fine vehicle wise. Also, we're looking at camping near Grizzly Gulch TH if anyone has any suggestions on a good location. Thanks
I didn’t go over cinnamon pass but last tues and wed I accessed the silver creek/grizzly gulch TH from lake city on 30. All was clear and patched up where the slides were along the shelf road. As mentioned can’t speak to any of the route between that TH and Silverton over cinnamon pass.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

On Friday afternoon, August 6th, I accessed the silver creek/grizzly gulch trailhead via lake city, then 30. Road was fine to the trailhead. Lot of people camping at the trailhead.
James2015
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by James2015 »

Was just there this weekend (8/8/21), and went over Cinnamon to Silverton. No problems. Signs of tons of slides off Sunshine, but they had it open. Narrow in places, but open.

As far as camping, good number of dispersed sites past the TH. Mill Creek is a pretty campground.
Last edited by James2015 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rsadler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rsadler »

Thank yall for the feedback. Mississippi to 14k'. Redcloud, Sunshine, Handies.