Lead King trailhead

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Lead King trailhead

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Anyone been to the Lead King Basin trailhead this summer and want to share their experience? Is the low road or high road more manageable? I did the low road in 2019 and it wasn't too bad in a RAM 1500.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
JakeHouseknecht
14ers: 54  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Lead King trailhead

Post by JakeHouseknecht »

I've been up there twice this year in a Chevy Colorado... both times on the upper road, it was very manageable just real slow. Not much traffic either time, just a long ride in and out. Think it took about an hour each way.
Sleep when your dead
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Stock 4runner made it fine on the high road with no scrapes. Just time consuming. Haven't taken the low road but heard it's a bit rougher.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

I was there 2 weeks ago. ¾ ton GMC extended cab pickup with off-road package. Took the high road in, low road out. High road is rough, but not nearly as rough as some areas between the trailhead and the Chrystal River Mill. Banged the frame a couple times in this area, but no damage. You definitely want clearance, 4 low, good tires, skid plates, and good technique. The road is narrow in some places of the entire loop. If you come head-to-head in some areas, somebody will have to back up for a bit to let the other pass.
Century Bound, eventually.
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

Dan_Suitor wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:30 am I was there 2 weeks ago. ¾ ton GMC extended cab pickup with off-road package. Took the high road in, low road out. High road is rough, but not nearly as rough as some areas between the trailhead and the Chrystal River Mill. Banged the frame a couple times in this area, but no damage. You definitely want clearance, 4 low, good tires, skid plates, and good technique. The road is narrow in some places of the entire loop. If you come head-to-head in some areas, somebody will have to back up for a bit to let the other pass.
Thanks everyone!

Dan, are you saying to take the high road? The road from Crystal sounds like it has deteriorated since 2019.
Save Challenger Point
bunny256
14ers: 58  3  4 
13ers: 357 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bunny256 »

I took the low road last summer and the high road last weekend. Definitely recommend the high road!
LoJ
IG @i_heart_mountains
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:15 am
Dan_Suitor wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:30 am I was there 2 weeks ago. ¾ ton GMC extended cab pickup with off-road package. Took the high road in, low road out. High road is rough, but not nearly as rough as some areas between the trailhead and the Chrystal River Mill. Banged the frame a couple times in this area, but no damage. You definitely want clearance, 4 low, good tires, skid plates, and good technique. The road is narrow in some places of the entire loop. If you come head-to-head in some areas, somebody will have to back up for a bit to let the other pass.
Thanks everyone!

Dan, are you saying to take the high road? The road from Crystal sounds like it has deteriorated since 2019.
To get to the trailhead, Yes. On the return, it was worth the rough road to go by the mill. It is iconic. If you don't care to see it, or don't want to subject your vehicle a very rough road, then return on high road.
Century Bound, eventually.
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

Dan_Suitor wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:38 am
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:15 am
Thanks everyone!

To get to the trailhead, Yes. On the return, it was worth the rough road to go by the mill. It is iconic. If you don't care to see it, or don't want to subject your vehicle a very rough road, then return on high road.
Thanks Dan! I've seen the Mill so will stick to the high road.
Save Challenger Point
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

Save Challenger Point
skypilot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skypilot »

Speaking of Lead King Basin -- I'll be walking the road from Marble to Lead King and back this weekend. I need to climb Hagerman (one of 3 centennials left).
Yes, it is going to be painful -- but I don't trust my vehicle to get me there.
So if anyone is driving the road and has a heart, make room for a young-at-heart but decidedly old lady and offer her a ride!

Thanks!
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

Save Challenger Point