*PSA* Reservation/Shuttles for Quandary Starting 7/30/21

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: *PSA* Reservation/Shuttles for Quandary Starting 7/30/21

Post by Jon Frohlich »

seano wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:01 pm So parking tickets will now be written for profit, of which the county and city likely take a cut, rather than to maintain access for first responders. Got it.
And how do you propose to enforce the reservation system without some sort of penalty?
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Personally, I don't see a problem with them taking a cut. Some of the affected roads are county-owned, and are expensive to maintain, especially when folks are pushing the limits when it comes to parking. Also, county/local law enforcement is involved, and it sounds like they also take part in EMS response.

I think overall that we as a community need to be more cognizant of the fact that while being outdoors is great fun and very restorative, if we aren't careful our activities make an outsized impact on the towns and cities that we're visiting on a regular basis. When residents and leaders in those places witness ever-increasing illegal parking, trash, waste, noise, etc, it's only a matter of time before a backlash results, which contributes to permitting and enforcement systems like we see popping up all over the state. And yes, EMS access is a critical part of the issue, too.

Bad behavior has a cost. I'm not a resident of a mountain town or county but I can sympathize with their frustration.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

mcmanusj wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:59 am Probably the first of multiple busy trailheads to go this route. Not at all surprising
Longs
North & South Maroon
Pyramid
Culebra
Audubon
Whitney

AndI probably missed a few.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:06 pm
seano wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:01 pm So parking tickets will now be written for profit, of which the county and city likely take a cut, rather than to maintain access for first responders. Got it.
And how do you propose to enforce the reservation system without some sort of penalty?
I was just noting that a for-profit company will be collecting said penalty, which makes it a bit more like a speed trap than a speed limit based on safety.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I went by the Quandary Trailhead while hiking up McCullough Gulch last Sunday. The Quandary trailheads were full and people were parked along the road to McCullough Gulch and even all the way at the McCullough Gulch Trailhead just to hike Quandary. More than that, there were a lot of cars parked right on the shoulder of the highway for quite a distance. I don't think I've ever seen a busier trailhead than that anywhere.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

I actually see this as a good thing.

Controlling access to popular areas is necessary when they start getting overcrowded. I don't have an issue whatsoever when this stuff happens.

I feel like it is a much better peak to control access to over the bells. Many people here are interested in what is in the bells area but once many do quandary in the summer once they have no need to do it again. So many other great options in the area to climb.

Any of the centennials, north star etc.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Alpinefroggy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:09 am Controlling access to popular areas is necessary when they start getting overcrowded. I don't have an issue whatsoever when this stuff happens.
Generally agreed, at least once they reach Quandary/RMNP levels of activity. One thing I do wonder about though is this: once access limits are established at all of the popular areas, where will the excess crowds end up? I assume previously "unpopular" areas are going to start seeing more use. Mixed feelings about that part.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Alpinefroggy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:09 am I feel like it is a much better peak to control access to over the bells.
Visitation to the Maroon Lake/Bells area might reach half a million people this year, almost all of them in summer and early fall. :shock: That's a lot for a small mountain lake.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

ekalina wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:32 am
Alpinefroggy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:09 am Controlling access to popular areas is necessary when they start getting overcrowded. I don't have an issue whatsoever when this stuff happens.
Generally agreed, at least once they reach Quandary/RMNP levels of activity. One thing I do wonder about though is this: once access limits are established at all of the popular areas, where will the excess crowds end up? I assume previously "unpopular" areas are going to start seeing more use. Mixed feelings about that part.
As long as OutThereColorado keeps their mouth shut. They recently seem to be doing better about not writing articles about every 'secret' spot though.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

ekalina wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:32 am
I've thought about that as well and came to this general conclusion. If someone had plans to hike a 6 mile/3000 foot 14er with a highway from the trailhead to the summit, odds are their plan B is probably not going to be a 13-14 mile, 5000 foot schwack through the Gores. My guess/hope is they'll just say f**k it and join a co-ed volleyball league in Wash Park.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

lordhelmut wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:13 pm I've thought about that as well and came to this general conclusion. If someone had plans to hike a 6 mile/3000 foot 14er with a highway from the trailhead to the summit, odds are their plan B is probably not going to be a 13-14 mile, 5000 foot schwack through the Gores. My guess/hope is they'll just say f**k it and join a co-ed volleyball league in Wash Park.
Haha, or a pickleball league, whatever that is.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

12ersRule wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:16 pm
lordhelmut wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:13 pm I've thought about that as well and came to this general conclusion. If someone had plans to hike a 6 mile/3000 foot 14er with a highway from the trailhead to the summit, odds are their plan B is probably not going to be a 13-14 mile, 5000 foot schwack through the Gores. My guess/hope is they'll just say f**k it and join a co-ed volleyball league in Wash Park.
Haha, or a pickleball league, whatever that is.
Based on my observations, it seems to be a sport for people who suck at both tennis and ping pong. But whatever keeps people off I-70, I'll support.