*PSA* Reservation/Shuttles for Quandary Starting 7/30/21

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mcmanusj
14ers: 43 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: *PSA* Reservation/Shuttles for Quandary Starting 7/30/21

Post by mcmanusj »

Probably the first of multiple busy trailheads to go this route. Not at all surprising
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

It's more fun in the winter anyway :P
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I wonder if it will be for everyday or just Friday Saturday and Sunday. I also wonder how early the shuttles were going to leave. I feel like the shuttle would need to leave by 3 in the morning from somewhere paved to get to a couple of Trail heads for reasonable Alpine starts, even on a shorter piece like Quandary. Also, parking anywhere in Summit is a nightmare. Where do they want the Overflow people to park? It would take an hour for a shuttle to get from Silverthorne to the quandary trailhead.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

People still climb 14'ers? Image
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Ptglhs wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:56 am I wonder if it will be for everyday or just Friday Saturday and Sunday. I also wonder how early the shuttles were going to leave. I feel like the shuttle would need to leave by 3 in the morning from somewhere paved to get to a couple of Trail heads for reasonable Alpine starts, even on a shorter piece like Quandary. Also, parking anywhere in Summit is a nightmare. Where do they want the Overflow people to park? It would take an hour for a shuttle to get from Silverthorne to the quandary trailhead.
Says in the article that the plan is the ice arena on the south side of Breckenridge.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

SkaredShtles wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:26 am People still climb 14'ers? Image
No one climbs them anymore because they are too crowded.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Ptglhs wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:56 am I wonder if it will be for everyday or just Friday Saturday and Sunday. I also wonder how early the shuttles were going to leave. I feel like the shuttle would need to leave by 3 in the morning from somewhere paved to get to a couple of Trail heads for reasonable Alpine starts, even on a shorter piece like Quandary. Also, parking anywhere in Summit is a nightmare. Where do they want the Overflow people to park? It would take an hour for a shuttle to get from Silverthorne to the quandary trailhead.
The vast majority of people climbing quandary do not do a 4 am TH start.

More like 8 am maybe
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Scott P wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:39 am
when you come to a fork in the trail, take it.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Scott P wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:39 am
Except for Little Berra Peak?
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Unavoidable given the extremely high usage. Curious to see how the details will work (shuttle hours, season for system, etc) since this isn't much advance notice.
benmangelsdorf wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:30 am It's more fun in the winter anyway :P
This for sure! Did it in December and would like to do the west ridge route at some point, but not worth it if I have to jump through hoops.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

From the article:
... the county is working with the town of Breckenridge to secure the help of Interstate Parking Co. of Colorado, a third party agency that will coordinate permitted parking, write tickets and fine visitors who are in violation. Henderson said Interstate Parking will take reservations for 45 to 60 spaces.
So parking tickets will now be written for profit, of which the county and city likely take a cut, rather than to maintain access for first responders. Got it.