Cinnamon Pass Roads

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Cinnamon Pass Roads

Post by greenonion »

Wondering what the roads are like these days that lead to Cinnamon Pass, between Silverton and Lake City. Mostly wondering about the section on the American Basin side where it’s been a bit rougher as I remember. Also interested of course in any sections that may have deteriorated significantly over time, either side of the pass.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Cinnamon Pass Roads

Post by Wentzl »

I am going that way on Friday. Will take photos and post update Saturday night.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
gcook33
14ers: 55 
13ers: 114
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gcook33 »

I was up there on Saturday to hike Animas Forks Mtn and Wood/Weed Mtn (drove from Lake City). I have a 4runner (TRD Off road) with AT tires and no lift and handled it great. I saw a subaru outback at the top too. Couple sections you'll have to pick your line but overall not too difficult.
"The way Jesus shows you is not easy. Rather, it is like a path winding up a mountain. Do not lose heart! The steeper the road, the faster it rises towards ever wider horizons. We can pray perfectly when we are out in the mountains or on a lake and we feel at one with nature. Nature speaks for us or rather speaks to us. We pray perfectly."
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

gcook33 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:22 am I was up there on Saturday to hike Animas Forks Mtn and Wood/Weed Mtn (drove from Lake City). I have a 4runner (TRD Off road) with AT tires and no lift and handled it great. I saw a subaru outback at the top too. Couple sections you'll have to pick your line but overall not too difficult.
Drove from Silverton to American Basin (and onward to Lake City) over the 4th weekend. Had a non-lifted Land Cruiser with no issues. Much more of a 4x4 road on the Silverton side than on the Lake City side.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Thanks, all!
Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Any specific questions? I just drove from Silverton to Grizzly Gulch trailhead via Cinnamon Pass. 1 hr 30 minutes. Grizzly Gulch to Lake City, about 5 miles of crappy road, then 15 easy miles, 25 - 30 mph. Saw several Subaru Forresters up there. I would not have wanted to try that. Can post photos if you want

greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Wentzl wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:45 pm Any specific questions? I just drove from Silverton to Grizzly Gulch trailhead via Cinnamon Pass. 1 hr 30 minutes. Grizzly Gulch to Lake City, about 5 miles of crappy road, then 15 easy miles, 25 - 30 mph. Saw several Subaru Forresters up there. I would not have wanted to try that. Can post photos if you want
Thanks. I think I'm good and don't need photos - have heard from someone else in a PM with great details. I know the area pretty well but just haven't been recently and was wondering if the road leading to Cinn Pass on both sides had deteriorated much since there last. Sounds like not too bad. Thanks for your details as well. Hope your hand is healing up nicely!
Txhiker42
14ers: 27 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Txhiker42 »

Wentzl wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:45 pm Any specific questions? I just drove from Silverton to Grizzly Gulch trailhead via Cinnamon Pass. 1 hr 30 minutes. Grizzly Gulch to Lake City, about 5 miles of crappy road, then 15 easy miles, 25 - 30 mph. Saw several Subaru Forresters up there. I would not have wanted to try that. Can post photos if you want
Wentzl, would you mind posting some pics of the 5 miles of crappy road between Grizzly Gulch and Lake City? Debating whether to take a 2wd Honda CRV with 7.8” of clearance up there next week.
It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun. -Jeff Lowe
Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

SSCN1205[1].JPG
SSCN1205[1].JPG (150.43 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
This first photo shows a rough spot between Animas Forks and the turn off onto the Cinnamon Pass Road. The Yellow jeep has just made the right turn off of Engineer Pass onto Cinnamon Pass.
SSCN1206[1].JPG
SSCN1206[1].JPG (166.08 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
The second photo is one of several switchbacks dropping down into American Basin.

supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Txhiker42 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:23 am
Wentzl, would you mind posting some pics of the 5 miles of crappy road between Grizzly Gulch and Lake City? Debating whether to take a 2wd Honda CRV with 7.8” of clearance up there next week.
Between Grizzly Gulch and Lake City specifically you won't have any issues with your CRV. I wouldn't drive a sedan up there currently but I was up there twice in the last week and some crazy folks had driven sedans up both times so a CRV won't have trouble. You should be able to drive it all the way up Cinnamon Pass if you want to.
Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Oh yeah, I misread the question. The photos are between Silverton and Grizzly gulch. The ride out to Lake City from GG is not difficult and any vehicle can make it by going slowly. No photos of that section.