Camping below S. Colony Lakes

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Camping below S. Colony Lakes

Post by JChitwood »

rijaca wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:17 pm
AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:03 pm I car camped there once at the 2wd trailhead. Nobody said anything. I have no idea if it’s allowed or not but I don’t remember any signs and hardly anybody was there.
Two years ago, there were signs in the lower parking lot that said no camping was allowed.

Alvarado Campground, a nice USFS campground is nearby.
Should be easy to get a spot in a forest service campground in July.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

There are also designated sites at the Grape Creek trailhead (below Music Pass on that road). That would be a shorter drive to S Colony as it is about 5 miles from the road junction at Colfax Lane that you use to get to S Colony anyway. I can't remember how many sites, but the road is 2WD to that point and gets rougher after.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

derekpetrie wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:00 pm There are a number of dispersed spots past the 1.5 miles of private property, starting just before rainbow trail intersection.

FWIW, the drainage is beautiful right now. I hiked it on Monday from the lower trailhead. But with all that green also were some pretty intense patches of mosquito swarms. Maybe it’ll dry out by early Aug. Id pack extra bug spray!
Any chance that 1.5 miles is drivable in a standard 4WD Ford Explorer? I climbed the Needle in 2006 but that was a long time ago. I remember the first half mile from the lower parking being not bad, but I can't remember what it was like after that.
(I know that it gets ridiculous not longer after.)

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

nunns wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:20 pm Any chance that 1.5 miles is drivable in a standard 4WD Ford Explorer? I climbed the Needle in 2006 but that was a long time ago. I remember the first half mile from the lower parking being not bad, but I can't remember what it was like after that.
(I know that it gets ridiculous not longer after.)

Sean Nunn
The worst part of the road now is in the first 1.5 miles. I personally would want a bit more clearance than a stock explorer. Running back down the road I was passed by a stock tundra just before the crux, and I’m nearly certain he punctured his gas tank on a shark. I left my long bed F-150 at the 2wd th and was glad I did.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

JChitwood wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:43 pm
rijaca wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:17 pm
Alvarado Campground, a nice USFS campground is nearby.
Should be easy to get a spot in a forest service campground in July.
Just checked. Sites were available during the week. Might not get one on a Saturday night though.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Just there last week Sean. There is no more drain pipe section. The first part of it is is pretty rough but not in a high centered way, just a rock fest. Then there is a rough uphill section that takes some careful avoidance. After that it's just an overall crappy road but not anything egregious. Then there are sections that are smooth and devoid of rock like some road guy developed a conscious followed by a return back to a rock carnival.
The question with your vehicle isn't if (it would make it alright) but how much stress are you willing to put on it. I would summarize it as not being all that bad but not good.

Edit:
If you were there in 2006 you may have driven all the way up to the old trailhead. That is no longer an option. It's closed to all but service vehicles. Your option is to park at the 2wd lot or continue 2.7 miles to the 4wd lot. Then a 4 mile plus hike to the camping area. Curious, what are your plans?
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Rollie Free wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:27 pm Just there last week Sean. There is no more drain pipe section. The first part of it is is pretty rough but not in a high centered way, just a rock fest. Then there is a rough uphill section that takes some careful avoidance. After that it's just an overall crappy road but not anything egregious. Then there are sections that are smooth and devoid of rock like some road guy developed a conscious followed by a return back to a rock carnival.
The question with your vehicle isn't if (it would make it alright) but how much stress are you willing to put on it. I would summarize it as not being all that bad but not good.

Edit:
If you were there in 2006 you may have driven all the way up to the old trailhead. That is no longer an option. It's closed to all but service vehicles. Your option is to park at the 2wd lot or continue 2.7 miles to the 4wd lot. Then a 4 mile plus hike to the camping area. Curious, what are your plans?
Actually in 2006 I had an old minivan, so we parked at the bottom.
We have decided to stay at a campsite nearby.
Plan is as follows:
Saturday July 31 hike to road to SCL
Sunday Aug 1 the Peak
Monday, Aug 2 the Needle
Tuesday, Aug 3 Humboldt and back down the road, drive around the Crestone group to the west side
Wednesday Aug 4 probably hike up near Willow Lake
Thursday Aug 5 Kit Carson, Challenger Pt (Columbia Pt), back down to vehicles

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

derekpetrie wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:26 pm The worst part of the road now is in the first 1.5 miles. I personally would want a bit more clearance than a stock explorer. Running back down the road I was passed by a stock tundra just before the crux, and I’m nearly certain he punctured his gas tank on a shark. I left my long bed F-150 at the 2wd th and was glad I did.
I took my Tundra to the 4WD TH and had no issues last September. If he punctured his gas tank he must of taken a really bad line. When in doubt yes just park at the 2WD lot and walk the road.
krojanen
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (0)

Post by krojanen »

Any insights on how getting to upper TH of SCL compares to lower sections of Lake Como road? I was able to get my CRV to the parking area on LC road at 8,800 with not much trouble.
"Not all those who wander are lost". J.R.R. Tolkien
pbarn
14ers: 51 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

krojanen wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:51 am Any insights on how getting to upper TH of SCL compares to lower sections of Lake Como road? I was able to get my CRV to the parking area on LC road at 8,800 with not much trouble.
I did them both last year and I’d say the road to the upper TH of SCL was much more challenging than the lower parts of Como. The lower parts of Como is mostly just driving along rocks, whereas the SCL trailhead actually has some obstacles you need to navigate well.