Camping below S. Colony Lakes

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Camping below S. Colony Lakes

Post by nunns »

We are planning on climbing the Crestones at the beginning of August. There is a parking lot at the bottom of the South Colony Lakes Road. It looks like it would be easy to camp/car camp there. Does anyone know if that is allowed at that parking lot? I am talking about the lower lot, before the "road" gets rough.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Camping below S. Colony Lakes

Post by rijaca »

Not allowed.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

I don't know that it's specifically not allowed, but I doubt it. It's entirely on private land, and the parking lot is really just a wide spot in the road with a fence around it. You might get away with sleeping in your car, but likely no camping.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

Last edited by Aphelion on Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

FWIW, have slept in my truck there a couple times with no issues. Definitely no place for a tent though.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

Somewhat related info: Do NOT follow the google directions to the lower 2WD parking lot; use the description from this site instead. (Otherwise, the last 1/4 mile or so will be a bit rough going. No big deal compared to the remaining 4WD road, but probably not great for a low clearance vehicle).
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

There's a nice hotel in Westcliffe.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

There are a number of dispersed spots past the 1.5 miles of private property, starting just before rainbow trail intersection.

FWIW, the drainage is beautiful right now. I hiked it on Monday from the lower trailhead. But with all that green also were some pretty intense patches of mosquito swarms. Maybe it’ll dry out by early Aug. Id pack extra bug spray!
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I car camped there once at the 2wd trailhead. Nobody said anything. I have no idea if it’s allowed or not but I don’t remember any signs and hardly anybody was there.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:03 pm I car camped there once at the 2wd trailhead. Nobody said anything. I have no idea if it’s allowed or not but I don’t remember any signs and hardly anybody was there.
I did as well (with a tent), but that was 7 years ago.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:03 pm I car camped there once at the 2wd trailhead. Nobody said anything. I have no idea if it’s allowed or not but I don’t remember any signs and hardly anybody was there.
Two years ago, there were signs in the lower parking lot that said no camping was allowed.

Alvarado Campground, a nice USFS campground is nearby.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

rijaca wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:17 pm
Two years ago, there were signs in the lower parking lot that said no camping was allowed.

Alvarado Campground, a nice USFS campground is nearby.
Good to know. I haven’t been there in 4 or 5 years.