Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Re: Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Post by justiner »

12ersRule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:21 pm Bikes? That's your answer to everything isn't it? Climate change, traffic, restricted motor vehicle access, lack of exercise etc. etc.
100% guaranteed riding bikes will get you more complements on your backside, too!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

justiner wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:22 pm
12ersRule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:21 pm Bikes? That's your answer to everything isn't it? Climate change, traffic, restricted motor vehicle access, lack of exercise etc. etc.
100% guaranteed riding bikes will get you more complements on your backside, too!
And it makes you impervious to criticism as well 😂
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

The CMC was approached a couple years ago by one of the private property owners asking for help with the parking situation. Not only were there parking issues, but also the usual illegal campfires, human and dog waste on private property, T-P flying around, and so on. I spent an hour on the phone with him; at the request of Julie Mach, CMC's Conservation Director who is in Salida; in May, 2019.

He had ideas about doing some sort of shuttle system from the I-70 parking area. He noted that there are around 30 private property owners up Stevens and a few in Grizzly; not everyone has built a structure. He was going to talk with the county and USFS; as an aside, it's a county road, not USFS. I e-mailed him at the end of 2019 to learn that he'd been busy with other stuff, but there was a plan to talk with the county. I e-mailed again last year, after the COVID shutdowns had started, but did not hear further. There was a draft of an actual plan that I have somewhere.

What's needed here, I think, is a master climbing plan for these peaks, including how to access. Someone mentioned climbing the south ridge. From my few times on the Summit County side, there isn't much in way of parking there either, and maps show just a social trail part way up Chihuahua Gulch. G & T need a task force from Clear Creek and Summit Counties, the Clear Creek and Dillon Ranger Districts, CFI, CMC, and perhaps other interested organizations. Certainly, wildlife groups, plus also CPW, will want a seat at the table.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

problem is that a permit system would require a policing system. someone to verify that you do have a permit would want to get paid requiring the permit to have a fee

one thing that i have not seen addressed is that the upper parking lot is usually full at 4 AM due to the amount of those whom camp up there. if there is any discussion on requiring a permit for a parking spot then it should also have the camping spots included.
could there also be time limits on the spots or base the fee per hrs used in the spot so that the faster folks that park at 4 am will be out of way of the next person by 8 or 9 so multiple people can use the spot? (timed credit card machine with attendant like in downtown?)

i dont like any ideas of fees/permits but also dont like the park all over the tundra at top so you dont block the road.......
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I guess if you think about it, even if you walked from I-70 Grays and Torreys are still a lot closer to the roads than most of the high peaks in the West.

In Utah, all but one of the 13ers are 20-40 miles round trip from the roads. Most of the 12ers are too.

In Wyoming, all but two of the 13ers are 20-40 (maybe even more than 40) from the roads and most of the 12ers are too.

In Montana, most of the 12ers are a long way from the roads.

Most of the California 13ers and 14ers are a lot farther from the road that hiking Grays from I-70. The easiest 14er in CA is still a 14 mile hike.

I think in Colorado, everyone just gets used to short and easy climbs when in comparison to the other states out west so it is a bigger deal when they have to walk the road.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

Scott P wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:03 pm I guess if you think about it, even if you walked from I-70 Grays and Torreys are still a lot closer to the roads than most of the high peaks in the West.

In Utah, all but one of the 13ers are 20-40 miles round trip from the roads. Most of the 12ers are too.

In Wyoming, all but two of the 13ers are 20-40 (maybe even more than 40) from the roads and most of the 12ers are too.

In Montana, most of the 12ers are a long way from the roads.

Most of the California 13ers and 14ers are a lot farther from the road that hiking Grays from I-70. The easiest 14er in CA is still a 14 mile hike.

I think in Colorado, everyone just gets used to short and easy climbs when in comparison to the other states out west so it is a bigger deal when they have to walk the road.
While that's true, because people have now come to expect a short hike from the car, the traffic on Bierstadt will likely explode even more than it currently is. Curious to see what the impacts of this will be on other peaks this summer.
b_esker
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 178 17 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by b_esker »

Speaking of reservations, permits and all the nonsense, does anyone have any first hand experience with the IPW reservation system this year (Brainard, Long Lake, etc.)? What have folks done who have showed up before the first reservation slot time (before 5am)?
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

Carl wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:49 am He recognized they do not have authority to write tickets for people parked on USFS land adjacent the road; it's unfortunate we're being forced to park on the tundra to avoid tickets. .
please don't do this. if you park on the tundra, you will only piss off the USFS and make things worse for all of us. best to get up early and grab a spot in the upper parking area or park down low. heck, we do it in winter and no one seems to complain..
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

VeraUndertow wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:37 pm
supranihilest wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:08 pm
lordhelmut wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:50 pm Anyone know what this means for Grizzly Gulch?
My friend Vera got a ticket for parking in the large, flat area at the Grizzly Gulch junction in early June. I'll ask if they can add their experience with this.
From a report snow alien posted it looks like they posted no parking signs there already, but when I was there early June to Ski emperor, we parked our cars right at the turn off for grizzly gulch where the large and obvious "parking area" is. I parked in front of a sign that said not to block the road but didn't mention that you were not allowed to park at all. When we got back to our cars there were tickets on all of the cars windshields. They had come through at 6:00-6:30 am to ticket everyone parked there. I have a date with court and lots of pictures to fight my $85 ticket. Since they put up no parking signs I think they will be enforcing and not dismissing any more infractions. Hoping they dismiss mine since there were not any posted no parking signs at that time.
I had the exact same thing happen to me and my court date is 8/5. My ticket said "no parking" as the explanation for why I was cited, but there was no "no parking" sign. I have a few clear pictures that show I was not blocking the road so I'm hoping that will clear up my case. When do you go Vera?
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

rebeccasimeone wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:21 pm Speaking of reservations, permits and all the nonsense, does anyone have any first hand experience with the IPW reservation system this year (Brainard, Long Lake, etc.)? What have folks done who have showed up before the first reservation slot time (before 5am)?
Was just talking to a friend about this yesterday. His approach is to book the 5am reservation slot and just come in early.
VeraUndertow
14ers: 58  5  7 
13ers: 346 51 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by VeraUndertow »

dubsho3000 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:47 am
VeraUndertow wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:37 pm
supranihilest wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:08 pm

My friend Vera got a ticket for parking in the large, flat area at the Grizzly Gulch junction in early June. I'll ask if they can add their experience with this.
From a report snow alien posted it looks like they posted no parking signs there already, but when I was there early June to Ski emperor, we parked our cars right at the turn off for grizzly gulch where the large and obvious "parking area" is. I parked in front of a sign that said not to block the road but didn't mention that you were not allowed to park at all. When we got back to our cars there were tickets on all of the cars windshields. They had come through at 6:00-6:30 am to ticket everyone parked there. I have a date with court and lots of pictures to fight my $85 ticket. Since they put up no parking signs I think they will be enforcing and not dismissing any more infractions. Hoping they dismiss mine since there were not any posted no parking signs at that time.
I had the exact same thing happen to me and my court date is 8/5. My ticket said "no parking" as the explanation for why I was cited, but there was no "no parking" sign. I have a few clear pictures that show I was not blocking the road so I'm hoping that will clear up my case. When do you go Vera?
My date is 8/5 at 9 am. Were you parked there 6/6? Or did they just schedule everyone same day no matter what?
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

justiner wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:33 pm lol I mean I encourage everyone to ride a bike up it. Just like in the city - I didn't like dealing with parking and traffic (and guess what I was adding to the parking and traffic problems driving my car), so I just rode a bike everywhere. Changed my frickin' life!
Maybe a dumb question, but where do you park your bike? Just lock it to a tree or something? It'd be really nice to take these sketchy roads on a bike but I'm not sure what I'd do when I get there.